Author Topic: Adoption Register  (Read 2496 times)

Offline bravaal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption Register
« on: Friday 01 March 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Seeking some advice.
 I have an extract from the adopted children's register for James Pollock, which under the heading of "date of birth where adoption order directs entry of date of birth" a date is given of 14 Jan 1932.
   Is this his actual birth date or date of adoption?

bravaal
All family names in South Lanarkshire

Offline Alb R

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption Register
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 19 11:18 GMT (UK) »
I would say that as that column is specifically just the purpose of showing date of birth if allowed, then you can safely assume it is the date of birth.
From your question it sounds like the one thing missing from the extract is the date of adoption

Alb
Hood, Juner, Midlothian, East Lothian. Coalmining

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 19 13:57 GMT (UK) »
You could check the original birth certificate at the Mitchell in Glasgow or the Scotlandspeople Centre in Edinburgh. According to the 1932 index, there were only 4 boys of that name born in Scotland in that year. What would the odds be of more than one of them being born on 14th January?
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 19 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Is James Pollock the child's birth name or his adopted name?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline bravaal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     Thanks for taking the time out to reply, as far as I am aware James Pollock is his birth and adopted name. The family story is the he is his sister's son adopted and brought up by his grandparents. I saw the four Pollocks (1932) but I don't think he had a middle name which they all had and the family are based around Baillieston, Bargeddie and West Maryston areas in Old Monkland.
     I believe that if I sourced a death certificate I might be able to see a birth cert at Baillieston Register office.

Bravaal

All family names in South Lanarkshire

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Just wonder why grandparents would adopt their own grandchild. Other chatters might know why this could happen.

When you said you've seen the four POLLOCK births, do you mean you've seen the civil registrations - and, if so, do any of them mention adoption?

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 19 13:07 GMT (UK) »
You say you will need to source his death certificate. Do you know for sure that he is deceased? Could he possibly still be alive aged 87 not all that old.

Would you happen to know his grandmother's maiden name? This could help with searching for a death if he was adopted by his grandparents. Index on SP usually give "mother's " maiden name.

Fleming - Grandparents have been known to adopt or bring up their grandchildren as their own. I have such a case in my family.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 March 19 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Dorrie, also have grandparents bringing up grandchildren but they didn't adopt formally because the child was already in the family. Just wonder why they'd put in all the paperwork for it.

Also, can I ask Bravaal which info they're trying to source for James POLLOCK? Is it birth, adoption, death, all three, none of the above?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 March 19 15:52 GMT (UK) »
I saw the four Pollocks (1932) but I don't think he had a middle name which they all had and the family are based around Baillieston, Bargeddie and West Maryston areas in Old Monkland.
     I believe that if I sourced a death certificate I might be able to see a birth cert at Baillieston Register office.

Only 1 of the 4 births mentioned by Lodger was in the Lanark area.

Not understanding the ref. to finding a death & being "able to see a birth cert at Baillieston Register office"
A birth cert. can be bought at any registry office in scotland however, do you mean you think this was where James Pollock was registered?
The only Lanark birth for 'a' James Pollock 1932 was registered Bridgeton.

Although the above had a middle name, it may be an indication of who his father was & as he was adopted it's possible the adoptive parents may have dropped his middle name for reasons i.e. didn't want a reminder...?

This death may fit;

POLLOCK JAMES 76
ANDERSON (mms)
562/ 105 Coatbridge (near Baillieston & Bargeddie)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"