Author Topic: Short introduction and first question  (Read 885 times)

Offline de Novali

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Short introduction and first question
« on: Friday 01 March 19 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi all!

I am Matthias, 50 yrs old, from Germany, so my English is far from being perfect. As probably all the people here, I am doing some research on my ancestors.

Many of them were landowners and farmers in the south-eastern part of Lower Saxony, so they and their families used to live in the same area for centuries. So it requires no witchcraft for an amateur genealogist to retrace that kind of forebears.

Another major group consists of parish ministers. In the past, it was custom for a young minister to marry the daughter of his predecessor in office. As the German clergy is quite well-documented, finding ancestors in this group offers no difficulties as well.

Furthermore I have many (hanseatic) merchant amongst my ancestors, and that leads straightly to my question: my ggggggggggggrandfather (eleven times 'great'!) was William Rowan, who was born in Scotland abt 1550 and came over to Anklam (Western Pomerania), where he worked as a merchant (such as a significant number of his fellow countrymen did!) and became councillor in his new hometown. First known mention in Anklam was in 1580. With his wife Ilsabe Mehl, the scion of a long-established family of merchants and councillors, William had a daughter, Anna, who married Lorenz Dinnies, who himself was member of an ancient family of merchants.

I recently read a book on Scotsmen who, for whatever reasons, immigrated to Pomeranian towns in the 16th century. It says, that William's father was James Rowan, referred to as an Esquire, who married Alice Murray, daughter of Lord (sic!) Murray. Unfortunately, no source is mentioned.

Does anybody ever came across a William Rowan who went to Germany in order to stay here? William Rowan existed without doubt and is my ancestor. I would like to find out more about him and his Scottish progenitors. I do not know the circumstances of Scottish emigration that well, but I suspect that religious reasons may have played a role. Further on, I suspect that William Rowan has already been a merchant when he came to Anklam.

Any help is highly appreciated!

So long!

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Short introduction and first question
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 19 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Firstly welcome to Rootschat.

For some background on early Scottish Migrations have a read at this article from St Andrews University https://flemish.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/2015/11/13/migration-from-scotland-before-1700/

Unfortunately church records in Scotland from that period are very rare - The Reformation took place around 1580 and there was a small exodus of Catholic families and clergy who took their records with them.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 19 14:15 GMT (UK) »
@ de Novali, welcome to Rootschat, Some stuff on Scots in Pomerania in this site, try "Rowan, Pomerania" in the search-box!

https://electricscotland.com/

Your English is sehr gut!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 19 17:01 GMT (UK) »
The Scots in Eastern and Western Prussia / by Th. A. Fischer. (Edinbrgh: Otto Schulze, 1903) mentions a J. Rowan (on. p. 67), a Jacob (i.e., James) Rowan (on p. 129) and a W. Rowan (Roan) on p. 194.

Fischer also published The Scots in Germany (Edinburgh, 1902) and The Scots in Sweden (Edinburgh, 1907).  All of these books are available online (they have been digitised) and you can find them at <a href="https://archive.org">Archive.org</a>

Offline de Novali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 March 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the warm welcome and the recommended literature!

Have a look at what I found: http://www.studienstelleog.de/download/Schotten_in_%20Anklam_a.pdf

Offline de Novali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 March 19 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The Scots in Eastern and Western Prussia / by Th. A. Fischer. (Edinbrgh: Otto Schulze, 1903) mentions a J. Rowan (on. p. 67), a Jacob (i.e., James) Rowan (on p. 129) and a W. Rowan (Roan) on p. 194.

Seems to be a very interesting book. Unfortunately, Anklam is in Western Pomerania, not in Western or Eastern Prussia. I am surprised, however, how many Scots had migrated to Germany, especially to Baltic seaports!

Fischer also published The Scots in Germany (Edinburgh, 1902) and The Scots in Sweden (Edinburgh, 1907).  All of these books are available online (they have been digitised) and you can find them at <a href="https://archive.org">Archive.org</a>

No matches were found...  :-[