Author Topic: a 5 or a 6?  (Read 178 times)

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
a 5 or a 6?
« on: Friday 01 March 19 14:21 GMT (UK) »
This is a follow-on from another post about a soldier's letter. Because of other information if have recently found, the date is crucial. If it is 1851, then this corresponds and makes sense with the content of the letter. If it is 1867 then there are problems (wife of brother he is affectionately writing to dies in 1860; the recently born son referred to is born in 1850; mother's address referred to is correct in 1851).  The '6' of 26 February has a very pronounced curl. In the year, the last digit is similar to the '1' of '18**'.  The third, and crucial, digit does not have the pronounced curl of the first 6 and seems to have a horizontal bar at the top, with a straight line down, which, unfortunately, combines with the bottom, making it look like a '6'. I, obviously, want it to be a '5' but would like some more objective views. The second image is the stamp on the outside, but doesn't seem to help. Incidentally, it seems that postage to the US cost a farthing!!
Thanks for any insight

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: a 5 or a 6?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 March 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
To me it looks like 1861. The curl of the 6 is what is making the 1 look like a 7.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 March 19 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I have tried to eliminate the fold/tear and slide the two parts together. I think it could be 1851. The 6 has a very distinctive curl to the way the whole number is written and I don't think this number is written the same.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 March 19 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Looks like 1851 to me, on both the letter and the cover.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 March 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Nice one Pat...I think 51 too.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline estiman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 March 19 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks guys! Exactly what I hoped to hear  :D :D :D

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 March 19 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I agree 51, there's a definite horizontal stroke at the top of the number overlapping over the horizontal stroke of the 7