Author Topic: help needed please regarding a Frances Dorothy Kemp born in Glasgow  (Read 12603 times)

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: help needed please regarding a Frances Dorothy Kemp born in Glasgow
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 18 June 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Thanks for coming on here. It’s all very confusing but I’d be interested to hear of any info you have on Fanny.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 18 June 20 18:17 BST (UK) »
Apologies if this has already been mentioned but there are 12 pages of replies ;D

Reply 24 says birthdate 2.7.17 but death reg shows 15th July as does 1939 entry

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 18 June 20 22:56 BST (UK) »
 Following this story

I've read all 12 pages now it looks like the 2nd July date was a mistake and the

Debbie's information will be interesting

Would any school records exist for Dorothy ?

My grandmother was adopted informally kept first name but middle name changed
Definitely worth looking at names of potential grandmorhers or mother's named Dorothy or Francis

Have you ruled out DNA ? It helped us confirm both birth parents for us

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline de88ie63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Friday 19 June 20 09:29 BST (UK) »
This is the information that I have regarding Fanny Holdroff

She was born in January 1866 in Falmouth, Cornwall, to Sarah Ann Sedgmond, age 34, and Charles Edward Holdroff, age 27. 
Fanny Holdroff lived in Falmouth, Cornwall, in 1871.   
Her brother John Charles was born in 1871 in Falmouth, Cornwall, when Fanny was 5 years old.
Her father Charles Edward passed away on 25 April 1873 in Pernambuco, Brazil, at the age of 34.  Her brother John Charles died on 5 July 1874 in Falmouth, Cornwall, when Fanny was 8 years old. Fanny Holdroff lived in Falmouth, Cornwall, in 1881 and 1891.  In the 1901 census Fanny was a Domestic servant (cook) as an inmate at Dm of Hope Refuge, 31 Hampton St, Plymouth Cornwall.
Sarah Sedgmond remarried married Edward N Tong (hence where the Tongs came into it.)
Her mother Sarah Ann Sedgmond passed away on 10 August 1904 in St. Thomas, Devon, at the age of 72. Fanny Holdroff lived in Plymouth, Devon, in 1911. Marital Status: Single; Relation to Head: Inmate1911 • Plymouth, Devon, England. 
Her half-sister Annie died in December 1920 in Bodmin, Cornwall, when Fanny was 54 years old Annie Tong 1856–1920 Dec 1920 • Bodmin, Cornwall. Fanny Holdroff died in 1944 in Plymouth, Devon, when she was 78 years old 1944 • Plymouth, Devon. Burial 10 Aug 1944 • Kent, England On my tree I have a link to Charles Kemp but not much info at the moment.  My daughter and I have just sent off our DNA so we may get more info later.

I hope this helps so far, I have more info but didn't want to bombard you.  As I said I am new to the Roots chat but have been doing my tree for quite a while, if this is not the case I fully apologise but there are too many coincidences from what has been written.
Debbie

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Saturday 25 July 20 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie. So sorry for the long delay but I’ve been busy with various other things that have distracted my concentration.

I’m struggling to get my head round this Fanny. I can’t seem to grasp how she’s linked to Charles Kemp when she was born in 1866 and also that she didn’t seem to marry? 

Just reading a lot of the old comments on this topic and I’m finding it difficult to link Fanny in with the “Frances Dorothy Kemp” my initial post was about.

If you have any other information to share then please do feel free to email me direct.

Thanks

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 26 July 20 20:06 BST (UK) »
olives, in reply no. 63 Debbie said that Frances D.Kemp was living in Plymouth in 1939. Also in Plymouth were Charles & Fanny (nee Holdroff) Kemp. In 1911 they were in Devon but they married in 1914 in Pollokshields. As Fanny was actually 48 (& not 32 as stated on the marriage certificate) it is feasible that they may have "adopted" your Frances.Hope this clarifies things for you.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 26 July 20 20:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, flst. I’m very naive with this site but don’t know how the numbers work out in relation to what you said about debbie’s Post no 63.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Monday 27 July 20 01:00 BST (UK) »
As an example,your most recent post is reply number 105. This one is 106.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Monday 27 July 20 08:48 BST (UK) »
Ah, thank you Flst. 😁

That definitely outlines things more, thank you.

I’ll just wait to hear Debbie’s response....