Author Topic: Conviction at Lancaster Liverpool Borough /Quarter Sessions 6 Feb 1843  (Read 1406 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Conviction at Lancaster Liverpool Borough /Quarter Sessions 6 Feb 1843
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 March 19 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Litherland is about 2 miles from St Peter church

More like 5 miles.

I thought the dock road was 2 miles long ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 March 19 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I thought the dock road was 2 miles long ?

This is a digression from the thread but to answer this point: the old "dock road" that runs north from Liverpool (Waterloo Road/Regent Road) must be around 4 miles long. In my twenties I occasionally walked home to Crosby from Liverpool City Centre along the dock road late at night and that was a good 6+ miles: 4 miles to Seaforth along the dock road and then another 2+ miles on from there.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marg06

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Some great comments which are helping me from afar.

I am still unsure how to interpret Eliza's tattoo and what significance it may have had to her.

I was originally thinking that Job and Mary Davies were a likely fit with their daughter baptised Feb 1826. However, there does not seem to have been a William in that family, so I am considering a family in the 1841 Census for Chorlton Manchester. Father John, wife Elizabeth and five children including Eliza and William.

with thanks
Margaret

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Note that in the criminal register she is "Elizabeth or Eliza" Davies. There are lots of possibilities.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1590/31251_A006070-00077/325259?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Looking at carters named William Davies in Liverpool, there don't seem to be a lot in the right age group to be her brother.

In the 1843 directory there is William Davies, cartowner, 1 Pleasant Street, Kirkdale. Age unknown.

In the 1841 census:

In Gill Court, Rigby Street there's William Davies, 30, carter with Ellen 29 Ann 15 and Elizabeth 18
In Wartons Court, Eaton Street there's William Davis, 25, carter, with Mary 20

In the 1851 census:

In Portland Street there's William Davies, 29, carter, born West Derby with wife Elizabeth and children Edward 10 Ann 6 Catherine 3 and Elizabeth 8 months