Author Topic: Missing from 1910-1935 ...  (Read 2239 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing from 1910-1935 ...
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 March 19 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Did she have siblings she could have been living with?  I guess you've already checked out her children in 1911.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 March 19 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi ... she had no siblings.  I have checked her three children and she wasn’t with any of them in 1911.  I wonder whether she had much contact with them after her divorce ... the children remained in the London area - her two sons were married and with their wives in the 1911 Census, and her daughter was still living with her father (John Hamley) and new wife Ann in 1911.  Nina

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 March 19 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Who was James Cridell who swore an affidavit?

I assume Eliza Price was the wife of the publican of the Albion.

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 March 19 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nic ... not sure who James was ... Yes, I also felt Eliza was the wife of the publican of the Albion. 

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 March 19 10:11 GMT (UK) »
I have now applied for the pdf of the death cert - will be interesting to see who the informant was ...

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 March 19 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone - I received the pdf Death Cert for Prudence Hamley (or Vernon) at the end of last week.  It says, further to what I have already mentioned in previous posts:

Date of Death:  25 Dec 1935
Profession:  Professional Musician
Cause of Death:  Valvular disease of the heart
Informant:  Certificate received from Walter Hall, Coroner for the County of Salop, Inquest held 27 Dec 1935

So that really doesn't help much as I was hoping for Mr Vernon or a family member to be the Informant! The death was registered under the name Pauline H Hamley and also in the index under Pauline H Vernon.  I have been unable to find any marriage to a Mr Vernon.

I emailed the Shropshire Coroner last Friday regarding the Death Cert - I asked why there might be an Inquest without PM, or an Inquest at all, and they said:

''It is not clear, from the inquisition alone, why there was an inquest. If it was a natural cause and a doctor could issue an appropriate certificate then it would not have needed to be referred to a coroner. It is possible that there was a doctor with some knowledge of the patient, but was not involved in the last illness and was not able to issue a death certificate. The death would then have been reported to the coroner who, to avoid a post mortem examination, may have held the inquest to take medical evidence upon which he could record the medical cause of death. There is no requirement for a post mortem examination for an inquest to be held if the medical cause of death can be established by other means''.

I have now emailed the oldest funeral directors in the town after having a chat with them on the phone - they are going to see if their 1935 ledger of burials still exists - they said their archive was a bit patchy - and hopefully that might reveal if a family member was in charge of arranging the burial.

I have also gone back over the 1911 Census in case I missed anything but just cannot find any entry that might be her.

It seems I am no closer to finding out where she was and who she was with between 1910-1935.  Does anyone have any further ideas?  Are there any local Whitchurch or Shropshire newspapers online from those decades?  I have done a search but nothing is popping up.  I thought if she was a professional musician then she may have advertised over the years from whichever address she was residing? 

Nina