Author Topic: Missing from 1910-1935 ...  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing from 1910-1935 ...
« on: Saturday 02 March 19 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  Further to my earlier post re my relative who died in Havana House, Whitchurch in 1935, I am having problems trying to find her from 1910-1935 ... can anyone help?

Her name was officially Prudence Harriette Hamley (nee Bielski, DOB 21 July 1860, Islington, London), but she often went by the name Pauline Hamley.  Her husband John Hamley divorced her in 1910.  At that time the family home was in Palmers Green, North London but Prudence/Pauline was residing at the Albion Beer House, Mill St, Crewe.  She had, according to the divorce papers on Ancestry, had an affair from January to August 1904 with a Mr Shaw, at that address in Crewe.  I know she was literate as she wrote a letter to her ex-husband which was in with the divorce papers. 

In the 1881 Census at aged 20, and 4 months after her marriage to John Hamley, she was listed as 'Pianiste'.  In subsequent census years the occupation section is blank for her, but I imagine she was busy with the three children she had with John.

I have tried all sorts of permeations of her name but cannot find a likely person in the 1911 Census. 

I cannot find any trace of her from her divorce in 1910 until her burial on 28 December 1935 in Whitchurch Cemetery - the burial register states 'Hamley (or Vernon), Prudence H'.  I have no idea where the surname Vernon comes into things!  I have zoomed down on Google Earth and it appears there is no headstone or any sort of marker for her grave.

Can anyone find her, especially in the 1911 Census?  I am assuming she was in the Shropshire area in that time, but I guess she could have been anywhere ...

Many thanks, Nina

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing from 1910-1935 ...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 March 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Could she still have been with this "Mr Shaw" :-\

Was her mothers maiden name Vernon perhaps - or even another "husband"
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milliepede ... I got the impression from the letter she wrote to her ex husband that the affair in 1904 had not continued but that is just my thought and I could be totally wrong on that, esp as she was still at the Albion in 1910 when she wrote the letter.  I looked for a Mr Shaw at the Albion in the 1911 Census but no joy ... but of course he likely lived elsewhere and could also have been married.

Mother’s maiden name was Vandy.  I looked for a Vernon marriage but didn’t find anything ...

Still a mystery!

Nina

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Who was the informant of the death in 1935, and is any status or occupation given for Prudence on the death certificate?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi ... I don’t have the death cert yet ... just the burial register entry. I know I should splash out and buy it, but wanted to try and see if I had missed anything obvious first before spending 11.00 for the cert ... in case I had research fatigue and wasn’t spotting a listing anywhere for her between 1910-1935!  I will purchase it if the brick wall persists!  Nina

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Don’t spend £11 on the certificate - order it as a pdf from GRO Online for £7.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Good thinking, thanks!  7.00 is certainly better than 11.00!  Nina

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 March 19 00:55 GMT (UK) »
I had a look down Mill Street for the Albion, according to the 1891 Census it should be around no 23.  It doesn't appear on either the 1901 or 1911 census.  But according to Google maps it was on the junction with Pedley Street which on 1901 & 1911 census has a public house at no 1 with George Price as Publican on both census and no sign of a Mr Shaw.

According to 1939 Register The Albion looks to be no 1 Pedley Street.

Offline Relsearcher

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 March 19 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nic - good to know correct/alternative address of the pub!  I have had a look online and it appears to still be in use, now called The Blind Beggar at 1 Pedley Street.  Before that it was Cruise Bar at The Albion, with the address 19-21 Mill Street.  I guess being on the corner means they can have the choice of either address? Nina