Author Topic: Missing pages in 1861 census, Shropshire  (Read 911 times)

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Missing pages in 1861 census, Shropshire
« on: Saturday 02 March 19 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I've been looking for families in the Great Ness Parish, in Shropshire and when I started going through the census page by page, I realised that there are gaps in the page numbers. I'm using Ancestry.

Does this mean that there is missing census data, or did enumerators skip pages, and leave some blank?  Also, if they are missing, I'd be interested to know whether FindMyPast has them (ie an Ancestry error) or whether they're physically missing from the archives - a bigger problem.

Also, is it a common problem? I've never noticed it before, but haven't stepped through page by page before.

The missing pages for Great Ness are 6,7,8  10, 16,17,18, 20, 21, 22, 24,

Piece: 1885    Folio:39   Page 1 onwards

Thanks for any advice.
Mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing pages in 1861 census, Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

I did find page 22* on FindMyPast the other night but the whole book seemed out of order.

Gadget

* it was after page 18 19!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Just checked Ancestry again, and no page 22 after 19.

I wonder if they are there, just out of order. I haven't worked out how to search by folio and page on Ancestry, so it will be difficult to check.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Don't know whether this helps at all but there are no missing pages listed for Shropshire

www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/census-for-england-wales-and-scotland-missing-pieces
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:35 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if they are there, just out of order. I haven't worked out how to search by folio and page on Ancestry, so it will be difficult to check.

They are all there on FindMyPast but very much out of order. I had to step through to find the Jones family.

Just wondering if you could get them via FamilySearch.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Don't know whether this helps at all but there are no missing pages listed for Shropshire

www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/census-for-england-wales-and-scotland-missing-pieces

Thanks Carole, that's very good to know.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:40 GMT (UK) »

They are all there on FindMyPast but very much out of order. I had to step through to find the Jones family.

Just wondering if you could get them via FamilySearch.

Gadget

I had trouble trying to set up a FamilySearch account, I think their webform was wonky. I'll try again though, and failing that take out another FindMyPast subscription.
it's reassuring to know the data is actually out there though, so thanks once again.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 March 19 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Just because sites say there are no missing pages doesn't mean they have all the pages that do exist. A recent example I came across of three pages missing on Ancestry but available on FindMyPast was

1871 census at Loose, Kent. Harriett Froud (35) and 4 children. Census reference Piece 939, 95, 34. George does not appear to be on Ancestry in 1871 (schedule has a gap from record 303 to 336 for Snodland and George is at 320 on the schedule) but he is on familysearch and findmypast as follows

Charles Millham (Millhand) 35 born Yalding, Kent. Wife Eliza Millham 26. Children Naomi 2, John C Millham aged 0 and George Froud, boarder, 42 Loose, Kent 42 at Holboro Road Snodland.

So the moral of the story if you can't find it with one company try the others (I have informed Ancestry of the omission but the problem with that is they never tell you what they have done about it).
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 March 19 17:07 GMT (UK) »
The most complete list of pages known to be missing from the 1861 census can be found by searching The National Archives catalogue (Advanced search for ‘missing’ or ‘wanting’ restricted to RG9).

If you are looking at the online images, look at the folio numbers. If there are missing page numbers, but the folio numbers are continuous, the pages are lost forever. If there is a gap in the folio numbers, try other sites first, but in very rare cases a camera operator could have turned two pages at once when the books were microfilmed decades ago. It has been known to happen.