Author Topic: William Edwards and Elizabeth Adams lived in Kent, son James b.1812  (Read 2041 times)

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Edwards and Elizabeth Adams lived in Kent, son James b.1812
« on: Sunday 03 March 19 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Hope to find ancestors for my husband's family.

William Edwards b.1773 Helmsley Yorkshire married Elizabeth Adams b.1771 Greenwich Kent.

Their son James b.20.3.1812 Deptford Kent married Sarah Elizabeth Fauchon 17.12.1846 St James Bermondsey.
 James and Sarah  Edwards came to South Australia and settled in Reedbeds, Adelaide when their small son early 1850.

Could anyone please shed light on this pioneering family?

Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Edwards and Elizabeth Adams lived in Kent, son James b.1812
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 19 08:10 GMT (UK) »
When James married Sarah in 1840 it was stated his father William Edwards was dead, how do you know where William was born.    Where and when did William & Elizabeth marry

Just adding
James baptism gave fathers occupation as Taylor and abode as Church Street
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 19 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you bearkat  :)
Other poster seems to be stuck at the same point so will wait for replies to this post
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for support on EDWARDS family.

The archival evidence (printed and some hand written but no sources ) I received from my late Father in Law, Clive Eric Edwards, was that William Edwards born 1773 in Helmsley, Yorkshire was buried at St Paul's in Deptford, Kent and that he was a needle maker. Also that William Edwards was married to Elizabeth nee Adams who was born in Greenwich Kent.
The death date given has been altered to 4th November, 1846. for William Edwards.

I did query the distance from Yorkshire to Greenwich but as I have no idea of the history of the Edwards family I really am in the dark as yet.

Would anyone else have some clarity on  William Edwards please

I do have much material in printed form and on marvellous CD about the pioneering Edwards family in South Australia and am very happy to share it with interested family descendants.
It is the early history of this family which is now of interest as we are planning a Family History holiday in UK after Easter and would like to visit the churches where the English Edwards' were married and baptised.

Thank you for any help,
Turramurra
HALSTEAD Essex, Australia,EVERETT Essex,  BIDDLE, Leicester and Rome Italy, GRUNOW, Adolph b1858 Berlin Germany
Soratapassenger on  ship to Australia 1800 , PICKUP Lanc, NICOL Sct, Joseph Smith and Margaret Holmes Convicts to Australia 2nd fleet and 3rd fleet

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 19 01:48 GMT (UK) »
The records I've looked at show that William Edwards was a Tailor (not needle maker) - lived at Church Street, Deptford per childrens baptisms and he died 1815 (not 1846).    He was bur.19/3/1815 Deptford and his will went through probate on 22/3/1815 (will confirms he was a Tailor of Church Street).

What I can't fathom is how it is known that he was born in Helmsley, Yorkshire??

There was a William Edwards bp.4/12/1774 Deptford, son of William and Elizabeth. (William senior was a Tilemaker) who I would have thought was a more likely candidate being in the right area.

There are some trees on Ancestry but none of them explain how a link was made to Helmsley, Yorkshire - unless they have some kind of proof which they are not quoting it sounds very doubtful to me (just my personal opinion).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 19 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Well done Annette!!
I too was suspicious  about the fellow coming all the way from Yorkshire in those early days.
How would he have travelled?
Certainly not the train
Anyway this William Edwards will need careful consideration to link the family
I wonder if anyone else is researching the family in UK?

Thank you for your help,
Turramurra

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:02 GMT (UK) »
According to Pigot's Directory of 1840 there were several EDWARDS trading in Deptford.  It might be worth looking for wills for these people to see if William is mentioned.

http://www.janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk/Pigots%201840%20Kent%20-%20Deptford.html

added

There's a PCC will for William EDWARDS Taylor of Deptford dated 1815 available on Ancestry or can be downloaded from The National Archives website for a small fee.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline turramurra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 March 19 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you bearkat for this excellent reference and help

The dilemma of William Edwards father of James Edwards is that Edwards is a very common i.e. often used, surname and William also a  common baptised name.

Could any researcher please advise how to find the actual records of The Edwards family from Deptford Kent while I am in London after Easter please. Do I make an appointment at the church or ?

"Who Do You Think You Are ?" just looks like a country stroll but I really like the detective work that we mortals do to find out about our ancestors, and roots chat has helped me with many family finds.

What does PPC mean please bearkat?
I'll try Ancestry for that will.
Thanks
Christine 
Turramurra