Author Topic: Bigamous marriage/divorce proceedings Lancashire WAIN v LOWE  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bigamous marriage/divorce proceedings Lancashire WAIN v LOWE
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 March 19 01:24 GMT (UK) »
The Canadian attestation papers for Wilfred Wain show his occupation as painter, birthdate 15 Jan 1875 “Wygan” - surely must be the same person.
Are you sure the month was January? There is this baptism:
Baptism 5th July 1875 All Saints, Wigan
William Wane, child of Joseph & Ann. Born 15th June. Abode Bird St., Ince. Occupation collier.
Cowban

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 March 19 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Maiden Stone, AVM228 has the right birth as all the censuses confirm Samuel and Ellen as being his parents, backed up by his daughter Gertrude living with her paternal grandparents, Samuel and Ellen in 1911.

And JenB, why do I never remember LancsOPC, it's such a fantastic resource?

I have ordered the marriage certificate from Joy Murrin as she is of the opinion that there will be more information noted on it. Hopefully she is right and I will post it when it arrives.

Please don't go any further with the English side of this at the minute. However, if anyone can find out what happened to Alice Keeley (Kealey) or tell me where to look I would love that.
Thanks for now. Back soon.
OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:00 GMT (UK) »
I'm doubtful about the 1875 William WAIN who tried to get into the Canadian Forces.

Given his occupation, birthplace and the fact that his next of kin was daughter Gertrude who appears living with his parents in 1911, I think it has to be the same man.

I have ordered the marriage certificate from Joy Murrin as she is of the opinion that there will be more information noted on it. Hopefully she is right and I will post it when it arrives.

Which marriage cert. have you ordered? If it is Wilfred's 1920 cert. then you will not get any additional information from that which I posted earlier. What additional information are you hoping for?

I can only presume that Alice Keeley was still alive when Wilfred returned to Wigan as that would seem to be the only bigamous marriage, unless she had died. I've never researched USA records for BMD but I did a quick look on FamilySearch and she didn't turn up there as dead.

This is a rather big assumption! The marriage would, obviously, only have been bigamous if she was still alive, so this needs to be gone into rather more deeply.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:14 GMT (UK) »
JenB, I have ordered the certificate of my Grand Aunt Clara based on the following information:

Good morning Joan,

On the marriage in 1920 it will list the annullment and if it was a bigamous marriage it will also list those details.  Do you hvae a transcription or copy of the certificate for that Marriage?

Joy.

We will have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks again for all the help.
OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:31 GMT (UK) »
As posted earlier
St George’s church, Wigan

February 11th 1920
Wilfred Wain 45 yrs widower, Painter, 116 Millgate , Father, Samuel Wain, Carpenter
Clara Hetty Lowe 47yrs Widow, 770 Wigan Road, Westhoughton, Father Roger Gregory (deceased) Grocer
Witnesses John Taylor and Sarah She..
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
JenB, I have ordered the certificate of my Grand Aunt Clara based on the following information:

Good morning Joan,

On the marriage in 1920 it will list the annullment and if it was a bigamous marriage it will also list those details.  Do you hvae a transcription or copy of the certificate for that Marriage?

Joy.

We will have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks again for all the help.
OzzieJoan

I’m afraid you’ve been given incorrect information.
If you look at replies #7 and #22 you can see that Wilfred stated he was a widower, so there would not be any listing of an 'annulment'.

I don't understand what she means when she says
if it was a bigamous marriage it will also list those details.

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 March 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Good morning, I just had an email from Joy Murrin and apparently there was a misunderstanding. Here is her reply:

Joan, I thought the marriage you were asking about occurred in NSW, but it is an English marriage and I cannot say for sure whether bigamy charges/dissolvments are noted on the English Registrations.  They are in NSW.

Sorry I cannot be of more help than this.

Joy

But the certificate is still on the way.

I have no idea how Clara came to find out that Wilfred/William was still married unless he confessed it to her. I would still like to find out what happened to the Alice Keeley he married in Illinois. She doesn't come up on FamilySearch as a death or a re-marriage. I don't know where else to look for USA records.

Thanks for everything,
OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 01:37 GMT (UK) »

I have no idea how Clara came to find out that Wilfred/William was still married unless he confessed it to her. I would still like to find out what happened to the Alice Keeley he married in Illinois. She doesn't come up on FamilySearch as a death or a re-marriage. I don't know where else to look for USA records.
1920 & 1930 U.S. census. Maybe a fresh enquiry on U.S. board?
Cowban

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 09:14 GMT (UK) »
If you do put an enquiry on the US board, please do make sure you add a link to this thread for background information.

I've had a quick look around and can't see anything, but a US expert would be better placed to help.