Author Topic: South Dublin Workhouse writing - help needed deciphering please  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Redser8888

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: South Dublin Workhouse writing - help needed deciphering please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 March 19 17:34 GMT (UK) »
I can see it is hospital now  but still not the right notes in that column. :-\
yup!  ???

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 March 19 18:42 GMT (UK) »
From general experience with workhouse registers, I would say that the column-heading in this case is irrelevant. These are probably the names of the people who ordered the paupers' admission to the workhouse. At least three of them seem to be Master (of the workhouse). The others will probably be the surname of the relieving officer for the relevant district, or someone acting on his behalf (Lawless for Conway?).

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 March 19 20:56 GMT (UK) »
From general experience with workhouse registers, I would say that the column-heading in this case is irrelevant. These are probably the names of the people who ordered the paupers' admission to the workhouse. At least three of them seem to be Master (of the workhouse). The others will probably be the surname of the relieving officer for the relevant district, or someone acting on his behalf (Lawless for Conway?).

Another name might be Bailon or Barton?

Offline Redser8888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 March 19 17:41 GMT (UK) »

:-* Eureka!! I went and searched the 1911 census for "relieving officer" Dublin and found "Corway" South Dublin Union (workhouse)

Thank you so much for your advice!!!

Redser

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 March 19 17:54 GMT (UK) »

Great work Bookbox and well done Redser.  ;D

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 March 19 18:55 GMT (UK) »

:-* Eureka!! I went and searched the 1911 census for "relieving officer" Dublin and found "Corway" South Dublin Union (workhouse)

Redser

Did you find Lawless?   ;D

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Redser8888

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 March 19 21:52 GMT (UK) »

Redser

Did you find Lawless?   ;D

no Lawless in Ireland hahaha