Author Topic: Absalom Davies Marriage  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Absalom Davies Marriage
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Jo thanks for finding Absalom's burial, I had found his death in the Death Index but not the burial. As he was a pauper in the 1851 Census I should imagine he would have had a paupers grave, but I will have a look at Conwy Library as they have a list of people buried at St Mary's. Also I doubt he would have had a Will being a pauper.
I haven't found a death for either Margaret as yet, but we are having a new Archive here in Conwy soon so I am looking forward to getting stuck in to all that information & possibly finding out a bit more about them.
Gadget the "clandestine marriages" sound intriguing & the Worthenbury baptism you found sounds very promising.
Thank you both very much for all the time & effort you have put in, it does help a lot if you have knowledge of the area.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 March 19 15:05 GMT (UK) »

Gadget the "clandestine marriages" sound intriguing & the Worthenbury baptism you found sounds very promising.
Thank you both very much for all the time & effort you have put in, it does help a lot if you have knowledge of the area.

I think you meant Hope  ;D

Ps -Re clandestine marriages - I had a good  look in the old Archives but it's all changed since it was reorganised so it's very difficult to find.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 March 19 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes Gadget I did mean Hope, silly me having one of my senior moments  ::)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 March 19 10:19 GMT (UK) »
I found what looks to be the burial of Margaret Davies in Conwy. This is on Freereg.

It shows Margaret Davies buried in St Mary and All Saints on 22 April 1851. She was aged 80. Her abode is given as "Court opposite Castle Hotel". The age at death fits with her birth year as shown in the census returns.

Have you searched for a marriage of Margaret bc1813? I found a marriage in Conwy on 4 February 1834, Margaret Davies to William Rowlands. In the 1851 census, Margaret is shown as having the surname Rowlands and she is a widow. She has two daughters: Jane, age 16, born Corwen and Eleanor, age 14 and born Cerrigydrudion. Their address is given as "Court out of High Street" which may agree with the address for Margaret Davies on her burial.

It would be worth checking this marriage when you search the registers. It should give more details such as names of fathers.

Jo.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 March 19 10:51 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism in St Mael and St Sulian, Corwen, for Jane Rowlands. It was on 25 December 1834 and she is shown as the daughter of William and Margaret Rowlands. This is on Freereg.

Better still, Ancestry has a baptism for Elinor Roulands in Pentre Llyncyman (Independent) Cerrigydridion. The register can be viewed and is states, "Elinor the daughter of William Roulands/Potter by Margaret Davies his wife was born in the village of Cerrigdrudion in the County of Denbigh May-the 21-1837 Baptised May-the 28-1837".

Jo.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for finding the burial of Margaret she was my 3rd Great Grandmother & I very often walk through that Churchyard, so it means a lot to me that quite a few of my family are buried there.
I had searched for the Marriage of Margaret & William Rowlands but as their children were born in the Corwen/Cerrig area that's where I centred the search not thinking of Conway, as on the 1841 Census they lived in Bangor then Conwy on the 1851 but William wasn't with the family 1841 & Margaret was a widow by 1851. I will certainly look in the registers when the Archive opens at the marriage you suggested as I have no info on William Rowlands other than he was a Potter.
I had found both Jane & Elinor's Baptisms but thanks again for letting me know about them. Elinor was my 2nd Great Grandmother.
The family appear to be travelling Potter's by all the areas they lived, so not easy to follow. I will be eternally grateful for all the info you found for me Jo,  ;D