Author Topic: Thomas Rice - did he marry his stepdaughter? (Bretby/Repton)  (Read 1906 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rice - did he marry his stepdaughter? (Bretby/Repton)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 March 19 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Who witnessed 1813 marriage? Were witnesses known to the couple? How far away are Derby and Repton?
If they were stepfather & stepdaughter the marriage was illegal.
Btw I don't think you are supposed to post entire documents because of copyright or transcriptions from FH websites for same reason. There should be guidance in "How to Use RootsChat".   Better to check with a moderator.
Cowban

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 04 March 19 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maiden Stone - thank you for advising me about the copyright issues with posting the images. I have checked the guidance and you are right. I have removed the attachments immediately. I don't want to cause any problems. Thank you for that.

I'll look up the marriage witnesses for the second marriage witnesses later and let you know.

Kind regards,

ALewis

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 04 March 19 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello ALewis,

You can post sections of certificates for study so I you are trying to read details on the right hand side crop the image in half.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. I will definitely consider that for the future :)

Kindest regards,

ALewis

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 04 March 19 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Maiden Stone - The witnesses for the 1813 marriage were Thomas Moore and John Orme.

I don't know if this John Orme was a relation to Mary Orme born in 1773 who first married John Abbott and then Thomas Rice.

Saint Peter, Derby is about 8 miles from Repton.

I have always thought this marriage was illegal, I have worked with various theories over the years. The main one being the first Mary died. Thomas was a farmer and needed another wife to look after his children, whilst he worked. The fact he married by licence 8 miles away, makes me wonder if they married outside of Repton where people didn't know them. If they were stepfather and stepdaughter, perhaps they wanted to get married quickly? If John Orme was a relative, maybe he approved the marriage for the sake of the children?

The only problem with this theory is I haven't found a death for the first Mary. Did she not die but abandon her family instead?

Every new piece of information I find just seems to add more questions.  :-\

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 04 March 19 14:30 GMT (UK) »

They had the following children that I know of in Bretby: Ellizabeth 1802, William 1804 (my 4x great grandfather), Thomas 1806, Sarah 1808, and Ann 1810.

3. Rootsweb - Thomas Rice of Newton Solney aged 19 born in Bradby (Bretby). Father acquired settlement in Repton. Hired to Joseph Orme (brother of Mary Orme) of Bradby. Mary wife of Thomas Rice says she hired her son to Joseph Orme 1825.

Was Thomas Rice of Newton Solney the same Thomas who was born in Bretby 1806? He was son of Thomas Rice and Mary (Orme/Abbot)? Was the Mary Rice who said she hired her son, Thomas to Joseph Orme in 1825 the mother or stepmother of Thomas Rice? Why did Mary Rice make the statement? Why did she have the authority to hire her son out? If her husband was alive, present and competent, would he not have been the person to have placed his son in another man's employment? Why did Thomas, her husband and father of Thomas Rice aged 19 not make the arrangement about his son's employment in 1825? When was the statement made/sworn? Was Thomas senior alive at the time of the statement? If so, why did he not make the statement?
Are you sure that the Joseph Orme who hired Thomas Rice was the brother of Mary Orme?
Cowban

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 04 March 19 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Maid Stone - Thank you for your reply and trying to help me with this very confusing leg. I will share with you what I can prove about my Rice family in Newton Solney, Bretby and Repton, so you know where I am at with my research in relation to all these documents.

My 3x great grandfather was Charles Rice, baptised 24th January 1841 in Newton Solney to parents William and Mary. Charles married Mary Tomlinson 1866 in Rugeley. Charles' abode was Newton Solney and his father is listed as William Rice, a farm bailiff.

William Rice married Mary Dicken 14/05/1825 in St Werburgh, Derby. They were both of that parish and he was a labourer.

I found that Bastardy order summary in 1824 in Newton Solney online. I believe the baby in relation to this document was Nathaniel Dicken baptised 28/03/1824 in Newton Solney to Mary Dicken. This Nathaniel would go by the surname Rice in the censuses and lived next door to his parents. On his marriage certificate Nathaniel Dicken names William Rice as his Father. From this bastardy order there is a Thomas Rice of Repton who is the surety. I need to obtain a copy of this record.

In the 1851 Newton Solney census, William Rice gives his birth year as 1804 and place of birth is Bretby. He was baptised 12th October 1804 in Bretby to parents Thomas and Mary Rice. This is how far I have been able to prove my research. Beyond this and how my Rice family connect with the other documents is what I'm trying to understand.

I believe the marriage in Burton upon Trent in 1800 of Thomas Rice and Mary Abbott is my ancestors' marriage. Mary Abbot was a widow.

I am trying to work out whether two Thomas Rices married two Mary Abbotts or whether it was one Thomas Rice who married two Mary Abbotts.

John Abbott died in 1799 and in his will he mentions wife Mary and the four children baptised in the 1790s (including Mary Abbott born 1795)

William had a brother Thomas Rice baptised 1806 in Bretby to Thomas and Mary. With regards to the Thomas Rice who was hired to Joseph Orme in 1825, he was aged 19. That would tie in with the 1806 baptism. I haven't seen the original documents (must get them) that I found on Rootsweb, only the summaries. The summary for the hiring record states he was of Newton Solney and born in Bradby. As his brother William was residing in Newton Solney in 1824 he could have been staying with him?

Mary Orme who married John Abbott in 1792. Their marriage licence names her brother Joseph Orme and father Isaac Orme giving their consent. She was aged 18. I know these two men lived in Bretby/Bradby. Isaac Orme in his 1798 will of Bretby mentions his wife Elizabeth, son Joseph Orme and daughter Mary the wife of John Abbott. I believe Mary Orme was baptised 1773 in Duffield to Isaac and Elizabeth. This baptism ties in with her being 18 at the time of marriage. Isaac and Elizabeth had a son Joseph Orme baptised in Duffield in 1765.

Based on the above evidence, I believe the Joseph Orme of Bretby who hired Thomas Rice in 1825 was Mary Orme's brother. With regards to the Mary Rice who hired her son to Joseph Orme I don't know whether it his mother Mary Orme/Abbott/Rice or the Mary Abbott/Rice (stepmother?) born in 1795. I don't know whether Thomas Rice was still alive when Mary Rice stated she had hired her son. The only burial I can find for a Thomas Rice in these parishes is 1843 in Repton.

The fact I can only find one burial makes me suspect Thomas Rice of Repton married two Mary Abbotts.

Kind regards,

ALewis