Author Topic: Firefox Freezing - What happens if I uninstall Firefox and re-install it?  (Read 3182 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
I leave my laptop turned on all day - plugged in.  I also leave open Firefox and Thunderbird, although I shrink them to the task bar.  However, when I go to do some work, Firefox has always frozen, although Thunderbird never does.

It drives me mad and I have no idea why, if I only leave my laptop for 15 minutes or so Firefox freezes, so I have to close it and re-start it.  When I try to restart I usually get a message advising that Firefox is running but not responding and I should close it (I thought I already had).  When I press OK, Firefox opens again.

I know one solution is apparently clear cookies, but that's a nuisance and means I have to log into each site I use each time - and I have a different password for each site - the other solution I've just read about on Google is to uninstall Firefox and then re-install it.   

What I want to know is will uninstalling Firefox and then re-installing it mean that I lose all my toolbar bookmarks? 

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox Freezing - What happens if I uninstall Firefox and re-install it?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 19 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie, I had the same issue a while back after one of their updates. I found that by uninstalling everything for Firefox (manually check for icons and other bits) it worked with a new install. I'm not sure if it's Firefox or Windows. Are you using Windows 10 by any chance? That's the version I had the problem with.
Save your bookmarks before you uninstall. And then add them again when you re-install.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 19 22:43 GMT (UK) »
No need to uninstall it

Just close it and click on Firefox Installer, probably in Downloads Folder

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes Windows 10.  It's been freezing for some time but it's getting worse.

Thanks Hallmark I'll try that first to see if it makes any difference.  If it doesn't I'll have to uninstall and reinstall (saving bookmarks first) to see if that cures things.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 March 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »
No need to uninstall it

Just close it and click on Firefox Installer, probably in Downloads Folder
I tried that first and it didn't work. That's why I uninstalled it all and started again.
Lizzie, before you reinstall it, clear your cache and cookies.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 March 19 22:59 GMT (UK) »
OK, I've done that, not sure why it showed Firefox Installer (3).  However, I'm off to bed tomorrow, so will shut down my laptop and then tomorrow turn it on and open Firefox.  I go out on Monday mornings, so I'll leave it on and see if it's frozen or not when I return.

Pinefamily - I have clearing caches and cookies.  From my original post:

I know one solution is apparently to clear cookies, but that's a nuisance and means I have to log into each site I use each time - and I have a different password for each site

Hopefully, hallmark's solution will not work.  If not it's on to Plan B.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:03 GMT (UK) »
 Firefox Installer (3) means it was the 3rd time you downloaded Firefox.

How many do you have??  If you've more than one the computer doesn't know which one you want to use and it becomes "confused"!

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's true. In your downloads file on your computer there will be install files for Firefox. Delete the first two.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's true. In your downloads file on your computer there will be install files for Firefox. Delete the first two.

Trouble is......which one was clicked on to Instal Firefox!

Delete ALL but one..... then after that hit the Installer