Author Topic: Wester Pintonan  (Read 1531 times)

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Wester Pintonan
« on: Sunday 03 March 19 22:27 GMT (UK) »
The Commissariot Record of Lauder mentions: 

"Friskin, James, portioner of Hutton and tenant of Wester Pintonan, 2 June 1772"

James Friskin (or Frisken) married Elizabeth Clasie (also written Clazie, Clezie, etc.) on 24 Oct 1734 at Hutton.  The baptism record of their son George in 1739 identified his father, James, as a shoemaker.

I assume that Wester Pintonan was a location, probably near Hutton?  Maybe the name of an estate?   Can anyone help to identify it?

Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
  • Indpendent academic historian and genealogist
    • View Profile
Re: Wester Pintonan
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:45 GMT (UK) »
West or Wester Printonan is a place name in Eccles parish, Berwickshire, which is nearby. I'd expect this is the place you are looking for.

You can find it yourself in the National Library of Scotland's maps site.

Go to https://maps.nls.uk click on find by place, then in the place search box type in Printonan. You can then select West Printonan, and see where it is on a map. You can also view historic maps layered on top.

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:48 GMT (UK) »

Offline heiserca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!  Fast and efficient!  Most appreciated.
Clezie (Clazie, Clezy, Clazy, Clazey, Claise, etc.), Lockhart, Heiser, Schwab, Tomon, Zarnowski, Megert, Iseli

Offline vivdunstan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Happy to help :)

I remembered the place name because years ago I typed it into my Berwickshire gazetteer for GENUKI. So a quick bit of checking just now found it again. The gazetteer is online at

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/BEW/gazetteer

It just pins down a parish for starters, but then it's usually possible to dig through old maps, even for place names no longer in use.