Author Topic: Royal Scots Glencorse Barracks Edinburgh  (Read 1775 times)

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royal Scots Glencorse Barracks Edinburgh
« on: Sunday 03 March 19 23:01 GMT (UK) »
 Kia ora ( Greetings from New Zealand )
I am trying to trace where my father (who was with the above regiment) served in WW2.  He trained  with them from 10-04-41 to 30-05-41. Family sources say that his Country of  Service was North Africa from 11-11-42 to 18-03-44. I have checked the Royal Scots website and can find no mention of the regiment serving in North Africa.  It is always possible that his unit was with some other regiment in 1942 and I would need some help checking this out.
Can one of your experts shed any light on this?  Regards Orkrad

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Scots Glencorse Barracks Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 19 09:51 GMT (UK) »
2nd Battalion Royal Scots were in Hong Kong at this time

H

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 19 20:49 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks BW252. I wonder what  Scottish regiments were serving in North Africa at that time. My mother was absolutely certain her husband was serving in North Africa.!  Orkrad

Offline BW252

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 19 21:08 GMT (UK) »
At the start of World War II, the 1st Battalion embarked for France as part of the BEF. Forced into the retreat which was to end at Dunkirk, they never made the road to freedom. After a desperate defence across the Bethune-Merville road, at Le Paradis, and after suffering appalling losses, many were taken prisoner and few escaped home. The 2nd Battalion, based in Hong Kong, saw action when the Japanese attacked in December 1941. Here too, The Royal Scots fought like tigers but the result was inevitable. The 1st Battalion was reconstituted after Dunkirk and took part in the Arakan campaign in Burma in 1943 and the Battle of Kohima in 1944. A new 2nd Battalion (originally the 12th) was formed in May 1942 and served in Italy and Palestine whilst the 7th/9th and 8th fought in Europe after D-Day.
 There were only 4 Service Battalions in WW2 (or 6 if the reconstituted 1 and 2 RS are included).

Hope this helps

H

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you go to http://www.theroyalscots.co.uk/2nd-world-war-ww2/ and search for 'North Africa' on the page, there is a reference to the 12th Battalion of the Royal Scots being redesignated as the 2nd battalion in 1942 (to replace the battalion lost in Hong Kong in 1941) at which point they had been training in the UK before being posted to Gibraltar in April 1943 when the nearest training facilities were in North Africa and only one company could train there at at time.

He could still perhaps have been in the Royal Scots and spend (training) time in North Africa.  Did he spend any time in Italy, as it says that they were sent there in April 1944.

Might fit with your mother's recollections, as he may have sent photos or letters from North Africa if he was training there.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 03:59 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks Rockford and BW252  . Have just remembered that my mother said that my dad had visited the church of St Therese in Bone  Algeria  ( there should be a circumflex above the o  but my computer keyboard doesn't appear to  have this facility )  to pray for the safe delivery of the baby my mum was expecting. He asked that the name of the saint be included in the baptism if the baby was a girl. My sister does have Theresa as one of her names.! I have also found some photos on the web of "Bone Harbour Landing Supplies for Allied North African Allies 13 Dec 1942 as part of Operation Torch. So it looks like  my father was indeed in North Africa but with which regiment.?  I am still intrigued.
Regards Orkrad. 

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 16:52 GMT (UK) »
8th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were in 36 Infantry Brigade which landed in North Africa in November 1942 and are the only Scottish unit I can find in that early landing phase.  There were also 2 (army) commando units, No 1 and No 6 to which no doubt many Scottish extraction men belonged.

I would suggest putting aside any of the battalions of the Royal Scots (men did often serve as individuals with another unit or headquarters for example) as they were definitely not in N Africa in 1942 and your Nov 42 date tallies very well with the British part in the Torch landings.  Can you be sure that he remained in a Scottish unit?  The army were adept at moving men to where they were needed regardless of cap badge.

I would venture to suggest that the only way to be sure is to get his service record.  As you are his next of kin and can no doubt lay your hands on the required documents (you don't need his service number) I would go head and apply:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records  The MOD can I am sure accommodate applications from NZ.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline orkrad

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 01:34 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks Maxd. I tried to apply for my fathers records a few years ago but if I remember correctly there was a rather steep charge. I do have a subscription to Ancestry but  I dont think they cover war records.  I wil now look into   the source you mention once again.
Thanks  to you and the other Rootschatters who have  responded to my query. Regards Orkrad

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is indeed a fee of £30 but it really is the only way of solving your query.  I should have emphasised that WW2 service records are not on line anywhere which is why you draw a blank on Ancestry.  He could have been in any of the units that were in 36 Infantry Brigade.

Good luck however you decide to poprceed.

MaxD

PS To get accents, download the "Character map" application which is in Windows if you are using it.  Easy to use, click on the character you want and use the Alt+(number) on the bottom
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia