Author Topic: Lawrence Robert Baker also known as John Woods 13/07/1928 - 14/05/1984  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Lesley Woods

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am searching for information about my father, Lawrence Robert Baker, also known as John Woods. Born 13th of July, 1928 and he had a brother by the name of Lindsay. I think he came from Victoria and lived around Ivanhoe NSW.

If anyone has any information, I'd be very grateful.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence Robert Baker also known as John Woods
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 19 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

It is entirely possible that your person of interest is still alive.  I see you have joined RootsChat today.  It is likely that your topic heading and your request will be modified because the person you are identifying may well still be alive. 

I can confirm that there was a chap who was aged 69 when he died in Western Australia in 1980 and he had the same names as your person of interest.  His W.A. birth certificate is available from WA BDM as it shows his birth was registered in 1911, at Katanning, in W.A.  So there may well be others with same or similar names, in any of the various states and territories across the entire continent.

JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence Robert Baker also known as John Woods
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 19 01:07 GMT (UK) »
The online index for deaths registered in NSW is available here:
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-research-nsw.aspx
NSW Death certificates are on restricted access for the first 30 years after the death.

The online index for deaths registered in Victoria is available here:
https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history
Vic Death certificates are on restricted access for the first   30  years after the death.

Ryerson Index - funeral/death/probates from volunteers transcribing from many newspapers
http://www.ryersonindex.org/

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Lesley Woods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Lawrence Robert Baker also known as John Woods 13/07/1928 - 14/05/1984
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 19 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM, thanks for bringing this to my attention. My father is deceased and I've updated my post. Also thank you for the links and information!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

So may I ask what information you are seeking about your Dad?

I assume you have copy of his death certificate, and it gives you information about his parents, his place of birth, where he was living at that time, his marriage/s, child/ren of the marriage/s, and his interment details. 

JM

Offline Lesley Woods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 19 02:13 GMT (UK) »
JM, I assume we had received a death certificate when he died but I no longer have that. I searched in NSW BDM (he died in Broken Hill) and can't seem to find anything in either names, same for Victoria. I have no sure way of knowing if Lawrence Robert Baker was his real name, that information was given to us by our mother on his death so I'm not even sure what name was registered at his death.

I'm doing my family tree and wanted to know a little bit more about him, he never spoke of his family to us when he was alive so it's all a bit of a mystery really.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 19 02:31 GMT (UK) »
A death at Broken Hill should be registered NSW. 

The online index for deaths registered in NSW is available here:
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-research-nsw.aspx
NSW Death certificates are on restricted access for the first 30 years after the death.

There is a registration on that online index for a John WOODS in 1984 and when you drill down on the option for date it does show it as 14 May 1984.   The reference no. is 11723.   An official transcription of that record will have all the same details as the real deal certificate, and the NSW BDM's website gives you details about those organisations too...

https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history-research/family-history-search.aspx   scroll down to the heading Ask a family history transcription agent
  any of those three are excellent.

JM

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 March 19 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, is there any details of him on your birth cert?

Offline Lesley Woods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 March 19 02:55 GMT (UK) »
JM, thank you so much, this could be my father, there are two names under this record, it may be the same person! Once again, thank you for your help!

Gilbert, thanks, yes on my birth cert he is John Woods born in St. Arnaud, Vic. I can search that too!