Author Topic: Hopefully a helpful suggestion  (Read 4845 times)

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully a helpful suggestion
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
That's easily dealt with. Go to your profile/look and layout then check 'Don't show users' signatures' and you won't see them any more. You also can do the same thing with avatars. I've got them both turned off.

Thanks for that JenB.  I wasn't really getting at anyone in particular - it just happened that Erato's post was immediately above  :D.  It means more scrolling of the screen, that's all.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 13:08 GMT (UK) »
If I make a small change to a post I've made, I usually type the word EDIT: . . leaving the original untouched (maybe a strikeout . .)
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 14:48 GMT (UK) »
If, when I've posted I glance at it and realise I've made a typographic error, then I'll modify the entry. Often I might be in the lovely situation of being able to give a bit of help to someone who has put a post up, and then I post my "bit". I might then be continuing to research for that post, and if I come upon something else, then I put it in as a new reply - in my view less confusing than modifying/ adding to my earlier response.
I'm certainly not trying to add to any total number of posts managed, can't see why anyone would want to. Noticing the number of posts by someone may help you to consider that if it's reasonably high, that person may be experienced, and if the number is very low that they may be a newcomer and/or a beginner.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure it is deliberate dishonesty,perhaps the poster did not notice something even when they read through their posts before posting.
Also when you read through you sometimes see how your comments could be misconstrued and then things can get a bit ,er difficult. ::)
To avoid that I alter as soon as I can so plead guilty .
But a valid point , Mart.
Viktoria.

Take it from me, the individual I spoke of was being deliberately deceitful in order to save her face.  It also made those who had responded look foolish. 
An honest person would post again conceding that they had been wrong or bowing to someone with greater knowledge, but not this individual. 
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:48 GMT (UK) »
An honest person would post again conceding that they had been wrong

Quite right!

This has happened to me. In a few cases its been clear that the person concerned, having realised they'd made some sort of error, has gone back and completely altered the text of their reply. I'd have more regard for them if they'd admitted that their reply was incorrect rather than doing a furtive edit.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Yes, 

Totally wiping out their original words,  replacing them with info that may be in later posts by several posters ... and which contradicts their original words ... and if you mention it ....

If I notice I do make a specific point of mentioning it.

I just dont understand why those making those changes that change the meaning/info/focus etc actually are interested in helping  family history  enquiries ....  is it because we are being targetted because we choose to be un-named volunteers .... do they also behave in same way with their immediate family or workmates or neighbours ....  I also make comment on the thread .... 

It is easy to make typos  ... eg 2019 instaead of 1819,  its the changing ...adding entire paragraphs   or adding/removing just one word ... eg 'not'

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 07 March 19 00:49 GMT (UK) »
An honest person would post again conceding that they had been wrong

Quite right!

This has happened to me. In a few cases its been clear that the person concerned, having realised they'd made some sort of error, has gone back and completely altered the text of their reply. I'd have more regard for them if they'd admitted that their reply was incorrect rather than doing a furtive edit.

Thanks, Jen, you get it.
I'd like to make it clear that I was not referring to anyone posting on Rootschat.  It was a person on another forum (and not a family history forum).
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Brickwall Demolisher

• RootsChat Member
  • Becoming possibly more extinct each day.?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 14 March 19 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
Everyone's comments on post changing I find of an interest. My own comments /  thoughts on the matter are on the person posting. He / she wants the post to reach for help from the person who could lead / give them the best possible information / answer of what their post ask's for. I think probably it's happened to quite a few of us at some time or another, once posted the person who has posted thinks he should have added extra?, worded differently?, or should have asked in a different way??. I found this out from when I first started my research, and hopefully I put my post's on now that will reach the person who will be able to help me with my posting request's. ???
Newbie's coming onto Rootschat are and do firstly come into my thoughts. To me it depend's thinking on if that you have the right board and secondly if you have worded it correctly. I believe once you start to have these thoughts, and start to alter, add extra it can bring in confusion to your answer that is needed. An answer to your posting, could be leading you into going away from what the poster requests / wants in information??.
I have found the people on Rootschat very helpfull. I find it quite amazing of what area's of subjects? / knowledge that the people cover on Rootschat.
I still, after nearly 20 years of research class myself as a bit of a newbie with Family History. Some people may think otherwise as to my alternative headed name. A lot of us individually know the ups and downs that comes from when we all first start with working on our past. It is never ever going to be an easy ride. Times especially when you realise that there is a mistake that you have made in your family line and it totally wreck' s all the work / results that you have achieved. ( I'm sure it's helped to why I have become a skinhead in my later years of life as I had a full head of hair before I started ?? )
 I'll sign off on this now. Rootschat holds a lot of helpful people with a lot of knowledge. Ask with as much info. that you may have and want help with. There are not many posts that get unanswered and looked at. Appreciate greatly what Rootschat is. Happy Hunting, Best Regards to all, Brickwall Demolisher
Maycock LAMBETH 1700-1960's
Burcham NORFOLK ??/LAMBETH 1700 - 1960's
Wentzell CRIPPLEGATE/SOUTHWARK 1700-1960's
Sadler CAMBERWELL / LEWISHAM 1700 - 1960's
Elliott WALWORTH / 1700 -1960's
Lepine FRANCE/KENT/WALWORTH/1550's-1950's
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 14 March 19 13:50 GMT (UK) »
A "brickwall demolisher" could be just what I need.... but I'm afraid I'd simply be scrabbling in loads of rubble, my brickwalls seem to have been erected in the very earliest 1800s!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)