Author Topic: Hopefully a helpful suggestion  (Read 4851 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully a helpful suggestion
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 14 March 19 23:32 GMT (UK) »
This is just a suggestion but I think it's a good one. Quite often I see that people make a comment and then another comment and another comment in the space of about 2 or 3 minutes. This makes the thread difficult to follow, and it might help if people were encouraged to modify (click the MODIFY button) their first comment when they want to add further information, rather than making multiple consecutive and contiguous comments. I know some people probably just want to increase their comment count but I thought I'd suggest it.

It makes a comment thread so much more readable.  No reply necessary.

Martin

Where is the MODIFY button?  Every time I want to modify one of my posts (make a spelling correction or to indicate it's complete) I never see the MODIFY button. 
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 14 March 19 23:49 GMT (UK) »

Where is the MODIFY button?  Every time I want to modify one of my posts (make a spelling correction or to indicate it's complete) I never see the MODIFY button.

You only get 24 hours to modify your post.  You need to be logged in.   I will be back shortly with a snip of the modify button

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 14 March 19 23:51 GMT (UK) »
attaching snip ....   on my post it is top right hand corner...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 15 March 19 14:29 GMT (UK) »

You can indicate it's completed by using the 'Topic completed' button at the bottom of the page :)
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 15 March 19 15:08 GMT (UK) »
It's getting the "unnotify" to actually DO that that I find erratic.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 15 March 19 15:31 GMT (UK) »
To clarify CarolA3's comment I think you only see the topic completed button at the bottom of the page on threads that you have started. It means you can't close somebody else's topic.

Martin

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 15 March 19 16:06 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the question I was answering, it was (edited version) 'I want to modify one of my posts ............ to indicate it's complete'.

Surely no-one would want to close other people's topics ???

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch