Author Topic: Hopefully a helpful suggestion  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Hopefully a helpful suggestion
« on: Monday 04 March 19 10:57 GMT (UK) »
This is just a suggestion but I think it's a good one. Quite often I see that people make a comment and then another comment and another comment in the space of about 2 or 3 minutes. This makes the thread difficult to follow, and it might help if people were encouraged to modify (click the MODIFY button) their first comment when they want to add further information, rather than making multiple consecutive and contiguous comments. I know some people probably just want to increase their comment count but I thought I'd suggest it.

It makes a comment thread so much more readable.  No reply necessary.

Martin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Hopefully a helpful suggestion
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:19 GMT (UK) »
When I modify a post I note that I have done so.  I modify to ADD live links or to sort out grammar or typos. 

I also will make a separate post if  introducing new thoughts.

I usually type up  my posts in word and copy that across into Rchats dialogue box after I have read it ...

I dont like it when I reply to a thread with some  replies and then afterwards I discover that my reply is  duplicating a post because there has been changes made to replies .... undocumented ....

I am not sure there is anyone who is actually concerned about how many posts a person makes and if there is,  then I am happy for mine to be reset to 0....

But I see no benefit in encouraging additional paragraphs being added to an existing post.

JM  1 finger typing from e reader.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I have just read through some posts and once you have 3000 you go pink and stay pink for ever more .... seems to be the only difference between 2999 and  50000 ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:32 GMT (UK) »
majm, I appreciated your wit!

Martin

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:37 GMT (UK) »
On the other hand,  IF there was a red warning alert if posting that a post you had already read had been modified AFTER you had read it,  well that may overcome some issues .... and allow the next poster to avoid duplicating or triplicating ....

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:42 GMT (UK) »
If you check how many RChatters are online you can see who is pink, and who is turning pink and moderators have their colour,  and etc.

JM

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:44 GMT (UK) »
If they get the alert!

Using opera I have never had any of the issues that I notice other RC'ers mention but what I don't get are the alerts that whilst you are typing someone else has also posted a reply - often meaning that I have seemingly duplicated a post but unknowingly in my case.

I'm not sure therefore that I would get any alert about a modified post.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:51 GMT (UK) »
I'll shut up in future. It seemed a good idea. Some forums actually frown on or even forbid replying to your own post. My self-confidence has been set back decades. I will call crawl back under my rock.

Martin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 March 19 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I would say that it depends on the thread, and what is being posted as to whether multiple posts one after another makes the thread difficult to read.

Sometimes small posts can have more impact than one long post containing multiple (important) points or comments which can tend to get lost.

For example, if you are asking numerous questions, which you often need to do to extract further information, I find that some questions are often overlooked, and often it is necessary to re-ask in order to get your question answered. In cases like this, I think that one question at a time can be beneficial, as each question can be answered in turn.

As JM says, it can get confusing, and with posts which are later modified, those additional comments can be missed. Modifying a post also means that the post needs to be re-read to find that added information if it is not added to the bottom of the post and noted as having been added later.

In summary, I think it depends what is being said or asked, and who is doing the saying or asking, as to what is the best method. I honestly doubt that anyone makes many small posts to increase their post count. What would be the point in that?  :-\