Author Topic: John Symonds  (Read 1117 times)

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Symonds
« on: Monday 04 March 19 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for any info about John Symonds who married Judith Mathew (Just one "t" in the surname) at Pakenham 13 Nov 1770. He died 1771 at Pakenham. Judith re-married to Joseph Ranson at Pakenham 19 Oct 1773.
One of Judith's grandchildren, Robert Double Cockrill, probably lived at a farm called Symond's Farm, Little Saxham, but I do not know if this has any relevance.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Symonds
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 March 19 06:39 GMT (UK) »
The Suffolk Record Office at Bury St Edmunds has the will of an earlier John Symonds of Pakenham, proved in 1767 (IC/500/1/221/89). It can be downloaded from https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB174_IC_500_1_221_89

David

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 19 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure of Johns death in 1771?  There is      John Simonds 09 May 1771, Burial Date    09 May 1771, Cotton, Suffolk. Residence Place Pakenham.                           Also...
The death of Judith Symonds, Spouse's Name John Symonds.  Burial Date 22 Jul 1787, Pakenham, Suffolk. Age 78.   This suggests that Judith died before John and could not if re-married in 1773.

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 March 19 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Apologies to solidrock and gobbitt for my slow response, but I have been in hospital. (Heart prob. All OK now)
I took the date of death from other researchers on Ancestry, so don't know how valid it is.

Also found this reference to lands and premises in Barton and Cotton now in occupation of John Martin, son in law. Judith Ranson was the daughter of Joseph Ranson and Judith Mathew.
Name Judith Ranson
Gender Female
Marriage Date 27 Apr 1795
Marriage Place Norton,Suffolk,England
Spouse  John Martin
FHL Film Number  0950447 IT 2

The text on the will is  unclear but there is a mention of Robert Langham of Pakenham and William Ranson of Thurston to hold in trust for daughter Judith Martin. Later mention of further premises in Pakenham to be left to Joseph Langham, son of Robert Langham. Also bequest to Joseph, Mary, William and Harriet Langham, children of Robert Langham and Mary his wife the sum each of one hundred pounds. Also the sum of thirty pounds to William Ranson for the maintenance and education of Mary Ranson, the daughter of Robert (deceased) Ranson and Lettice (Nee Larkin) his wife. Executors Robert Langham and William Ranson. Dated 16 Jan 1816. Probate 7 Feb 1816.

I don't know if any of this helps to work out exact dates of John Symonds or to find any info on the Mathew family.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire