Author Topic: Patrick Mangan b Ireland 1876  (Read 6055 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Mangan b Ireland 1876
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 11:39 GMT (UK) »
My MANNIONs have various spelling including MANYON etc.
Literacy caused several problems

One person who may be of interest is here - LINK
Patrick s/o Patrick MANNION, a Shepherd; and Catherine nee MANNION b Jan 18 1876
There is a baptism transcribed in the same area on Jan 23 1876
Many people at that time used their baptism details as well as their civil records for birth dates

I am checking out where the original of the baptism record is located as the transcription does not link correct and an initial search didn't find him. I'll update when I know more.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Births for 1876

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ngx/

It is a useful site, you have to sign in but it is free https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Have you checked any of these?
There is one born January 1976 in Ballina district.
Birthdates are often wrong within a few days.

Here is that family in 1901 with no Patrick
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Letterbrick/Derreen/1574721/

1911 confirms 6 children born and still living.

As said earlier, a marriage certificate might help because of father’s name and witnesses.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I agree with what others have said about needing to see marriage certificate for father's name and hopefully witnesses who were relatives. Without it, everything else is speculation as you don't know where in Ireland he was from and are not even certain of his surname.
My Irish grandmother's date of birth on her birth registration is different from d.o.b. on her baptism entry. The difference is only a few days but I've seen others with larger discrepancies and some whose official d.o.b. was later than their baptism. I had trouble finding grandma's birth registration, although I knew where she was born, because her first name at registration wasn't the name she went by in later life. There are online trees which have incorrect names, birth information and parents for her. Her younger sister wasn't registered.
My uncle has wrong birth year on 1939 Register. 
Cowban

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I am still waiting for a reply on my query - I haven't forgotten!
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline BenRalph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for more interest in this. I think I will have to get the marriage certificate on payday. Where is the best place to purchase them these days as I've not bought a marriage cert for quite a few years?

I was wondering if the date of 23 Jan was the baptism as I've seen it with a couple of Catholic relatives before.

I've not had chance to look on the laptop at the links provided yet but will as soon as time allows.

Thank you.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 15:25 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if the date of 23 Jan was the baptism as I've seen it with a couple of Catholic relatives before.
You won't know that until you can find out where he was baptised and you need to know where he was born before you can locate a likely church.
Cowban

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 15:38 GMT (UK) »
A agree with maiden stone you first need the marriage certificate
As the marriage was in Leeds you will need to apply in England/UK and I don't know the best options for this

Also when you have the certificate if they married in a Catholic Church I would contact the church as they often recorded more information than was registered. They sometimes included the mother's name and reference to the baptism or place of origin but it is not guaranteed.

I still await a reply on the transcription
Further generations:

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 15:46 GMT (UK) »

Where is the best place to purchase them these days as I've not bought a marriage cert for quite a few years?

You need to register and purchase them from the GRO.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Marriages Jan-Mar 1906   

McNulty    Margaret Ann    Holbeck    9b     418

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Also when you have the certificate if they married in a Catholic Church I would contact the church as they often recorded more information than was registered. They sometimes included the mother's name and reference to the baptism or place of origin but it is not guaranteed.
Look up the church on GENUKI website. This is organised by place. It should tell you if church registers have been deposited at archives. If so, you can post a request on the Yorkshire board asking if anyone will be visiting whichever archive it is and could do a look-up for you. Also check out family history societies in the area and find out if they have done transcriptions. Before you do any of that, search for the marriage on FreeReg. Most clergy & parish staff (if they exist) don't have time to answer enquiries from family historians.
Cowban