Author Topic: Name Change  (Read 2828 times)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Name Change
« on: Monday 04 March 19 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

So i have found a death cert for a Sylvanus Crofton in Cincinnati, Ohio 1937. On the cert she is listed as being born in England 1865 to George Crofton and Mary Duffy but i cannot find any record of that person being born in England and nothing prior to 1900 BUT George and Mary did have a daughter Mary Ann in Leeds, Yorkshire 1865 who emigrated with them.

My question is, has she changed her name from Mary Ann to Sylvanus? She was a School Teacher and a Nun so is this perhaps her 'sister name'? and if so how can i find out for sure? Are there records of name changes in Ohio online?

Thanks in advance :)
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
Re: Name Change
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 19 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Have you checked the US Censuses?  I have had a look on FamilySearch and there is a Sister Sylvanus Crofton listed in Cincinnati Ward 5 in Ohio, living at St Gregory Street with 15 other religious sisters.  It gives her birthplace as Ohio though but her parents birthplaces are given as England (father) and Ireland (mother).

She is listed in the same place in 1930, although this time her birthplace is given as England with an emigration date of 1870.

I reckon that Sylvanus = Mary.  Perhaps if you search for the address you might find what religious order she was a member of.

Hope that helps,

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

So i have found a death cert for a Sylvanus Crofton in Cincinnati, Ohio 1937. On the cert she is listed as being born in England 1865 to George Crofton and Mary Duffy but i cannot find any record of that person being born in England and nothing prior to 1900 BUT George and Mary did have a daughter Mary Ann in Leeds, Yorkshire 1865 who emigrated with them.

My question is, has she changed her name from Mary Ann to Sylvanus? She was a School Teacher and a Nun so is this perhaps her 'sister name'? and if so how can i find out for sure? Are there records of name changes in Ohio online?

Thanks in advance :)

It appears Sister Sylvanus & Mary  Crofton are the same.

The Cincinnati Enquirer
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sunday, December 19, 1937 - Page 39

Obit: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/29147179/sister_sylvanus/

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! :)
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck