Author Topic: Charles Stockill...  (Read 705 times)

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Stockill...
« on: Monday 04 March 19 22:45 GMT (UK) »
hello. Can anyone help with my brink wall. I am trying to find out where Sarah Jane (?) Stockill was in the 1851 and 1861 census and any info about her father Charles Stockill.

I have obtained Sarahs daughter, Kate Edith Pearce birth certificate (1870 Fylingdales) which shows mother as Sarah Stockill. Kates' baptism record confirmed mothers name as Sarah Jane (5th June Mexborough).

I have found only one Sarah Jane Stockill  - born Oct 1848 - Pickering. Baptism shows mothers name as Jane stockill. No further info found about Sarah Janes' mother and no father shown on the record I can see - can anyone do a look up of the baptism 15th Oct 1848 Pickering?

Sarah Janes' Marriage to John Pearce (1841 - 1896)| on 25th Dec 1865 Mexborough states fathers name as Charles Stockill. I have found no record of a Charles Stockill and a Jane being married.

I can not find any of the three of them in the 1851 or 1861 census. Sarah was married and a Pearce by the 1871.

Any idea where the family may have been or what I can do to trace them? many thanks!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Stockill...
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 19 23:01 GMT (UK) »
There's a Sarah Jane Stockel b c1849 in Newton, Yorkshire on the 1861 census. She's a servant, which doesn't help you with her family. However, she wouldn't be the first to have perhaps invented a father for her marriage cert.

Ref is RG 9,  piece 3644, folio 4, p1

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 19 23:18 GMT (UK) »
1851? Newton, Yorkshire. All the younger ones are grandchildren

Edward Stockill    64 - ag lab
Elizabeth Stockill    64
Sarah Pickard    30 - daughter, married
Jane Stockill    29 - daughter, unmarried  <<<
Elizabeth Stockill    10
William Stockill    6
Jane Stockill    2   <<<
Jane Pickard    4
Ann Pickard    10 Mo

HO107, 2373, 210, 10

From baptism records, Elizabeth is Sarah's daughter. Jane has at leas two other children Ann Eliza b 1851 and Betsy, 1853, both of whom are in the workhouse in 1861

Also this

STOCKILL, JANE
Age at death        36 
Q4 1858  PICKERING UNION  Volume 09D  Page 253

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 20:52 GMT (UK) »
thanks very much for this info - the point about the other children being in the work house in 1861 is particularly interesting and suggests that is why Sarah Jane is a servant at 12. I will look to see if Janes parents had died which could be why they ended top in the work house.

many thanks again for your tine - i really appreciate it.