Author Topic: Auckland Archives lookup requests  (Read 980 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Re: AKL Archives look up
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 February 19 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Karee.bell,

That last archives request will be on family search as stated, you just have to put in a little effort to find it.  :)

'A DIGITISED COPY is available and can be viewed free of charge on LDS FamilySearch website https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1865481. This probate record is not indexed by name as of yet; Select browse images - Auckland Court – then scroll to year and record no*.'

*Which is: P349/1930   

As for the rest, that is a very big ask! At most, people usually request no more than two or perhaps three look ups at a time. And when visiting Archives, the volunteer doing the look ups can only ask for I think, 5 files at a time. Also that person may be fulfilling requests for other Rootschatters as well. So you might have a bit of a wait...........

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 19 19:27 GMT (UK) »

And when visiting Archives, the volunteer doing the look ups can only ask for I think, 5 files at a time.

Minniehaha.

Yes, it is 5.  We don't seem to have chatters visiting Archives on a regular basis like they did a few years ago and as Minnie said, you might just have to be patient when someone is passing and has time.

It might have been better starting your own thread, as the OP will not be able to make the thread complete until yours has been fulfilled.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 19 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning.

I will add your request numbers, to my little black book of items, I wish to look up when next at the Auckland Archives.

Yes we can ONLY pre order, OR order upon arrival, five items out at any one time, but usually the staff are able to progressively supply more requests without much delay, as finnished with requests, are returned from the reading room.

My biggest issue will probably be the 60 image capacity of my camera, requiring me to remember to take an old laptop with me, to download relays on to a memory stick. Never done that before. Some probates are quite basic, but others can number quite a few pages, when there have been issues with the will. AKA's and proof of birth etc.

Don't know when I will next be staying in Auckland, but hopefully within the next month.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Auckland Archives lookup requests
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Greetings

This indeed proved to be a big look up request. Will advise when have completed processing the photos taken. Off to a hospital clinic now. As you are possibly aware, included are legal challenges within some family issues, and I believe you will be interested in all the photos taken.

I don't give myself time to read each page, it is just a case of turn the page, support the page to be photographed, click; then repeat the process, but letterhead and subject titles seen while processing do give an indication of the material flying past the camera.

Possibly over 180 from memory, Friday last. Hopefully the email address supplied is still active. Should be in contact over the next few nights depending upon how much time I get to process the images taken.

Was also able to take over 280 photos for my own research on Monday past from the pictured file.

Offline karee.bell

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 March 19 01:09 GMT (UK) »
thank you sooooo much

I am going to be ever so greatful for this information.
I appreciate the time you have taken to do this for me.

Thankyou again :)
Ketels, Linnell, Bourke, Watters
Withy, Griffiths, Boswell,
Bell, Hunter, Carley, Anderson
Lane, Higgs,

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 March 19 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Karee

First batch of thirty photos are on the way to your email address. Others will follow each time I sit at the computer with a cuppa.  [If not distracted with other requests on the go]

Regards,

Alan.

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 March 19 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Again. 

Final batch of 38 photos held, has now been sent.

Happy to do further follow ups. Can notify by PM'ing.

Alan.

Online Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 April 19 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi again.

Been back to the Archive, and now have another set of photos for you. This time Ellinor Linnell's papers. Still having issues getting steady photos, especially where the original is a poor quality carbon copy. Much of the material is similar to, or a repeat, of previous submissions already put before the court.  A batch of photos are on their way to your email address.

Feel free to come back if more info required. But possibly the end of July before I'm free to spend a day at the Archive doing my research. Also about to loose access to the handy overnight accomodation that I previously used.

Alan.