Author Topic: thomas Chambers  (Read 1220 times)

Offline criverite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thomas Chambers
« on: Tuesday 05 March 19 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Looking for ancestors of Thomas Chambers born about 1869 to Thomas and Jane Chambers who emigrated to Canada in 1882.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: thomas Chambers
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Can you confirm the date of birth ?

I have had a quick look with this basic information and see a Thomas CHAMBERS who married on Nov 04 1886 in Ontario. He married Margaret HAMMOND and his parents are shown as Thomas and Jane CHAMBERS. He is also shown as born in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh; aged 26 which implies born c1860. Both are shown as Church of England (Protestant).

The family is shown on the 1891 and 1901 Canadian census returns and in 1901 he states his date of birth is May 15 1860 and his immigration date was 1882.

If this is your Thomas then his year of birth is 1860 and before civil records.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Prior to the start of statutory birth registration in Ireland (1864) you need to rely on church baptism records. The Church of Ireland baptism records for Enniskillen only start in 1861. Consequently if Thomas was born in Enniskillen in 1860 then there appear to be no records to find. (The earlier ones were lost in the 1922 fire). However dates of birth can be very unreliable. Most people in Ireland in the mid 1800s didn’t celebrate birthdays and often didn’t know exactly when they were born. When officialdom later asked for a date of birth they often just made one up. So it might be worth looking at the post 1861 baptisms just in case. They are in local custody (ie the church has the only copy).

Statutory registration of non RC marriages started in April 1845. I searched on the GRONI site from 1845 – 1865 for a Thomas Chambers marrying a Jane anywhere in Fermanagh. There were 2 Thomas marriages but neither married a Jane (the surnames were Ramsay 14.2.1849 and Johnston 24.11.1853).
Elwyn

Offline criverite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes Myluck that is the Thomas I am researching- my great grandfather. Thank you for info.
Elwyn your details re records around 1860.  I live in Canada so have limited knowledge of these records.  It will save me from some useless searching.

Offline snickersnee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 October 22 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am looking for a Chambers family in Ontario, in which both parents indicate they were born in Ireland.  The husband was a John Chambers and the wife Dorothy Busteed (also spelled Bustard, born in Co. Fermanagh.  She was the daughter of Andrew Busteed  Their son Andrew Busteed Chambers became a Methodist minister in Toronto.

Her death in Canada was reported by a Richard Chambers (her son?).  It is possible that your Thomas Chambers is related to this Chambers family.

Jean Frane
Washington DC
Miller (PA), Cribbs (PA), Schenck (NJ), Piggott (VA),
Trible (VA), Witham (Maine, Ohio), Hudson (VA),
Cloptom (VA), Fleming (VA), Michaux (France, VA)
Morgan (VA), Howden (Ireland), Bustard (Ireland),
Seaton (Scotland), Cameron (Scotland), Kennedy (Scotland), Forbes (Scotland), Reinhard/t (Baden, Minn), Buche (Switzerland), Fouquette (Quebec)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 October 22 01:29 BST (UK) »
As Elwyn says at reply #2, claimed dates of birth can be very unreliable, so the following might be a possibility.

There is a record listed in the link below, which is a transcript from PRONI MIC/1E/37 of births in Irvinestown Methodist Circuit, for a child Thomas born on 18 October 1856 and baptised on 7 November 1856, parents given as Thomas and Jane Chambers (mother's maiden name not recorded):

https://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/churches/irvinestown-meth-bir.htm

Offline criverite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 October 22 03:40 BST (UK) »
JeanFrane Thank you for your response. However I think these are a different Chamber families.

Gaffy Thank you  This seems quite likely to be a record of my relative.  Very helpful.
-