Author Topic: Court of Common Pleas  (Read 191 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court of Common Pleas
« on: Tuesday 05 March 19 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

Iím wondering how I would find a ref in the Court of Common Pleas concerning the advowson of Brailes in Warwickshire?

In 1735, the advowson of Brailes was conveyed by John Sanders to James Bayley, of Stapeley, Cheshire. When the living became vacant in 1760, James Bayley attempted to present his son, John. However, his right was disputed so he had to institute an action of quare impedit which was tried several times at the Warwick Assizes, and twice argued on special case before the Court of Common Pleas. James Bayley won the case and he presented his son on 27 June 1760.

Revd John Bayley died in 1783 and conveyed the living to his trustee, Thomas Hinckley, of Lichfield.

The above details are from the Brailes parish registers. I have John Bayleyís will but havenít had any success finding anything more.

Many thanks, Jay😉
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Court of Common Pleas
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 12:30 GMT (UK) »
The Common Pleas documents are at the National Archives in series CP. I have had a look and can find nothing in the catalogue that matches your details.
However the Court of Chancery has something that might be what you seek. Unfortunately it's not been digitised and you'd either need to get someone to look it up for you, or to visit yourself, or to pay for TNA to scan it for you.

C 11/2201/16   Short title: Oxford University v Bayley.
Document type: Bill only.
Plaintiffs: Chancellor etc of Oxford University, Francis Bishop, esq and Samuel Forster clerk, Richard Huddlestone, esq and Jane Huddlestone his wife (executrix of Thomas Belchier, esq deceased) and Henry Bishop, George Bishop, Frances Bishop, Maybella Bishop and Mary Bishop (younger children of Richard Bishop) infants (by Frances Paston).
Defendants: James Bayley senior and James Bayley junior and Isaac [Maddox], Bishop of Worcester.
Date of bill (or first document): 1757
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply, Graham.  At least I now have something to work towards thanks to you. Hopefully, there will be more to find. I wonder if it would be worth getting a researcher to check the CP records in case that particular action hasnít been catalogued?

Jay😉
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 08:20 GMT (UK) »
While I have looked at the Chancery records and found some interesting information, I've never looked at Common Pleas so I have no experience to share.
There may be guidance to be found here:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides-keywords/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan