Author Topic: OCCUPATION 1861 CENSUS  (Read 1116 times)

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: OCCUPATION 1861 CENSUS
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 10:25 BST (UK) »
Dean -Many thanks again for your comments and additional information, You have access to an abundance of information, may I ask how you're able to access it?

Don

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Dean St 1799

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 11:10 BST (UK) »
That’s kind of you. The Thomas Tomkison stuff has been built up over many years:  combination of internet (the handiest resource of all), Ancestry/Find my Past/Family Search (I live close to the National Archives which gives me access, plus wills etc there), newspaper collections at British Library, Fire Insurance Records at London Metropolitan Archives, Livery Company records at Guildhall Library.

But I have to say it is a great plus to link up with someone with a similar interest and bounce off ideas. I’m sure we have got further with Humphrey Tomkison and his connections. 

It has also spurred me into looking at Luke Core, who was a tailor and lived like Humphry in Maiden Lane.  There was an earlier 18th C Tomkison family (not using the name Humphrey as far as I know) who was a tailor in the City - I wonder if there could be any connection there?

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 April 19 12:13 BST (UK) »
Dean - Being close to the National Archives must be great. Now less than a decade from a card from the Queen (I should hope), and not mobile, at the moment I'm limited to FindMyPast - and any other free resources, but still getting a lot of entertainment from delving into family and local history through the marvellous facility of the web, particularly RootsChat.

Humphrey had a cousin Charles, who was born in Brewood, in 1732, the son of Humphrey's uncle, John. Could he have been the tailor, I wonder? Can you find his apprenticeship?

I notice that the letter from Dr. Johnson to Humphrey, was near his bankruptcy in 1780's. I wonder if there was a connection? Is there any record of a discharge from bankruptcy?

Offline Dean St 1799

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 May 19 14:00 BST (UK) »
The tailor I was thinking of is John Tomkison who was in St George’s Bloomsbury.  His will is dated 27 November 1746 and in it he leaves everything to his wife Elizabeth, except a shilling for his eldest son Thomas who is then an apprentice. There is an apprentice record for this Thomas, on 13 April 1738, to Andrew Johnson of St Paul’s, Covent Garden: the master’s profession is not specified but he must be Andrew Thomson, a woollen draper of St Paul’s Covent Garden, who left a will on 4 September 1747.  In 1744 Thomas Tomkison of St George’s Bloomsbury applies for a marriage licence to marry Elizabeth Jacques of the same parish. This must be Thomas son of John the tailor.  I cannot find an apprenticeship record for John.  I am not sure how this family fits in with Humphry’s but at the least they are likely to have known one another.

Humphrey’s commission of bankruptcy was issued in April 1784 and his premises and their contents were advertised for sale later that year.  A final dividend may not have been issued until 1787, and from that date Humphrey is paying rates for a property in Bedford Ground or the Piazza, Covent Garden (not sure if this is the same address).

Would it be useful if I sent you a PDF of the Galpin Society article, which you could print off or look at online?

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 May 19 12:03 BST (UK) »
Dean - I'd asssumed the C. Tomkinson was probably Charles. The John Tomkison must have been born 1700 or thereabouts. Humphrey had a brother John, but born 1726. I'll try a bit more digging. I would like to have a PDF of the Galpin Society, thanks.
I've been loooking at the two daughters of Thomas the pianoforte maker, who had interesting marriages. They both married soldiers. Emily married Captain Charles Frederick George Napier, who became the first Chief Constable of Glamorganshire. His history and his family are in the History Notebook of the South Wales Museum.
Mary Dolling married Gaspard Adolphe Fauche, who had been a Lieutenant in the Regiment de Meuron. I hadn't heard of the regiment before, and found it was a Swiss regiment of mercenaries, originally serving the Dutch East India Company, but then serving with the British Army. Fauche had been in Canada in the 1812 war against the US. The regiment had fought in the Peninsular War and at Waterloo. I wonder if Fauche took part? I don't know if Fauche was Swiss or French. They had a daughter in Harfleur in1829. Fauche died in Brighton in 1857.
Nothing to do with all this really but the brother of my best man became a Chief Constable, after serving in the SOE in France.
Don

Offline Dean St 1799

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 May 19 00:19 BST (UK) »
Mary Tomkison and Gaspard Adolphe Fauche were an interesting couple.  She had a beautiful singing voice and while not being a career musician, played the piano to professional standard. Two of her songs were published and are in the British Library. She was a friend of Frances Trollope (authoress and mother of the novelist Anthony Trollope), in whose letters a number of references to Mary Fauche can be found, seeming to show that sadly the marriage was not a very happy one.
Gaspard Fauche, born in Hamburg in 1797 (according to the website of the Societé Genevoise de Généalogie), was the son of Pierre Fauche and Josephine Schwichelt and grandson of Samuel Abraham Fauche,
who founded a dynasty of printers and publishers in the Swiss city of Neuchātel. After serving with the de Meuron regiment in North America, Lieutenant Gaspard Fauche wrote an account of a mission accompanying the Earl of Selkirk to settle the Red River colony in Canada in 1816. He subsequently became a salaried official of the British Foreign Office, serving in consular appointments in Charleston, Santa Martha (now Colombia), and Ostend, where he and Mary were during the 1830s.  He retired from the Foreign Office in 1841. 
Do you have a suitable email address that you would be happy for me to send the PDF of the Galpin Society article to?

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 May 19 01:08 BST (UK) »
Do you have a suitable email address that you would be happy for me to send the PDF of the Galpin Society article to?

You can now use the personal message option to exchange email addresses. Members have to make several posts before they can use pm. Publication of personal email addresses is not allowed on RootsChat open forum as everything posted on it can be found by internet search.

Offline Dean St 1799

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 10 May 19 23:31 BST (UK) »
The following is what I know of the descendants of the two daughters of the piano maker Thomas Tomkison left descendants.

A.  Mary Dolling Tomkison and her husband Gaspard Adolphe Fauche (married 25 April 1825 at Old Church, St Pancras), had two daughters:

A I.  Marie Josephine (born Harfleur, Normandy, 1830).  She married Christophe Guillaume Theodore Schuster on 2 October 1845 at the British Embassy Chapel, Paris. His father was a Lutheran theologian from Hanover.
There is some evidence (from Frances Trollope’s correspondence) that this marriage was also not very happy.  In 1851 Marie Josephine was staying with her mother at 26 York Buildings, Marylebone, and described as a Professor of Pianoforte.  In 1861 she was living in 26 Upper Seymour Street, Paddington.  At neither time was there any evidence of Mr Schuster.  Marie Josephine died in March 1908 in Wandsworth.

A Ia.   Marie Josephine and Christophe Guillaume Theodore Schuster had a daughter Isabella, born 1847 in Paris.  She married William Linnell on 26 November 1866 at St Michael’s Chester Square. William, an artist, was the son of the more famous artist John Linnell, and they lived in Reigate until Isabella’s death in 1869 at the age of 23.  The couple had had three daughters, Katherine (born 1867), Emilie (born 1868) and Isabelle (born 1869).  In 1901 William Linnell was living in St Luke’s Parish, Chelsea.£

A Ib.  Blanche Emily Leopoldina (born 1831).  She married Richard Bunce on 12 September 1848 at the Chapel of the British Embassy, Paris.  He was the son of Captain James Bunce, RN (1757-1759), trained as a surgeon. They emigrated to Australia in 1851 and settled in Ballarat, Victoria, a gold mining town, where he practiced as a surgeon. Blanche died on 18 November 1878 and Richard on 29 March 1885.  Richard’s brother James had emigrated to Adelaide in 1839, and for several years the firm of Bunce and Thomson (in which Richard was a partner) had an import/export business with Australia, with offices in Temple Bar.

A I b i.   Richard and Blanche Bunce had children Mary Ellen (b 1849), Alice Blanche (b 1851), Catherine Emily Charlotte (b 1853) and Henry Richard (b 1857).  Of these only Alice Blanche seems to have left descendants.  She married Foster Fyans at St George’s Queenscliff, Victoria, on 31 0ctober 1872.

A I b ii.   Alice Blanche and Foster Fyans had children Mabel Fyans (b 1871 Geelong, d 17 March 1942 at Torquay), and Harold Richard Napier Fyans (b 1873, d 19 July 1952 Kyneton Victoria), a veterinary surgeon.

B.   Emily Boughey Pinto Tomkison married Charles George Frederick Napier on 7 December 1831 at Old Church St Pancras. He was the son of Major Charles Frederick Napier, born in Ceylon in 1805.  He was promoted Captain in the Rifle Brigade in 1834 and appointed first Chief Constable of Glamorgan in 1841. Emily died on 1 November 1855, and her husband in January 1867.  They had two children:   

B I. James Dundas, born 1833, Lt Royal Marine Light Infantry, died 1863 unmarried

B II.  Emily Paulina, born 1835.  Married William Howe, labourer and ex-soldier, son of John Howe, on 22 April 1863 at Newcastle, Bridgend, Glamorganshire.  In 1881 they were living at 25 North Street, Lower Newcastle. William was a butcher and Emily a teacher of music. There is no record of any children.  Emily died in 1890 aged 55.

Offline Donches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 11 May 19 14:26 BST (UK) »
Dean - Many thanks again.
Just a small point- Tha LDS Family History site has the birth of Marie at Honfleur, the daughter of Gaspard  and Marie Fauche, as Marie Agnes, 24 December 1829.

Don