Author Topic: Trying to find Mary Howells baptism  (Read 1249 times)

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find Mary Howells baptism
« on: Tuesday 05 March 19 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am just wondering if anybody can help me with trying to identify the baptism/parents of my 3rd great grandmother Mary Howells please.

She married David Lewis 26th April 1834 in St Issells. David was a bachelor and Mary a spinster both of this parish. With consent of parents.

I am not sure of the marriage witness' details. I have a separate post for this in Handwriting Deciphering and Recognition to try and confirm their names. The post is "Marriage witnesses for David Lewis and Mary Howells".

I know David was over 21 years of age at the time of marriage. I have documentation/DNA matches to prove he was born in 1809 in Amroth. Mary would have been born sometime after 1813.

In the censuses, Mary's place of birth is given as St. Issells. I have been to the record office and haven't been able to find a baptism in this parish. I have found several likely baptisms in Pembrokeshire on Findmypast:

1. Mary Howell 11/09/1814 in Robeston Wathan to parents John (a labourer) and Lydia.
2. Mary Howell 28/03/1817 in Narberth to William (a soldier) and Ann.
3. Mary Howell 05/09/1817 in Pembroke to Joseph (a labourer) and Martha.

I think it is more likely to be Robeston Wathan or Narberth as they are closer to St. Issells.

In the censuses, the Lewis family are living at Killa Mountain, which is part of Kilgetty. They had the following children:

George 1835
William 1839
Hannah 1842
Mary 1844, buried in 1848
Eliza 1846
Martha 1847
Mary 1850
Charlotte 1855
Thomas Lewis (alias Frederick Thomas Lewis, my great great grandfather). Born about 1837 in St Issells, I haven't found a baptism or birth certificate for him. He appears on the censuses with his parents. DNA matches prove my connection to Amroth.

Mary Lewis was buried 25/09/1881 in St. Issells. She was 64 (born about 1817) and her abode was Saundersfoot.

Any help or advice you can give to try and solve this is much appreciated. Thank you in advance. :)

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Mary Howells baptism
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 16:10 GMT (UK) »
Further to my other post in the Handwriting Deciphering and Recognition section. Somebody has kindly identified the first witness as Thomas Prickett, a blacksmith in St. Issells and witnessed a lot of marriages.

The second witness is possibly a James Jermyn.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see from flicking the pages, all the marriages in that register are "with the consent of parents" so I wouldn't read too much into it.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Further to my other post in the Handwriting Deciphering and Recognition section. Somebody has kindly identified the first witness as Thomas Prickett, a blacksmith in St. Issells and witnessed a lot of marriages.

The second witness is possibly a James Jermyn.

Thomas Prickett 60 occ Blacksmith with Priscilla 65 Old Mill St Issell in 1841
Census ref HO107/1448/ 8/24 / 13
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 16:32 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ - Thank you for your advice on the consent of parents. I'll definitely not discount baptisms before 1813 now.

keyboard86 - Thank you for supplying the census details for Thomas Prickett.

I appreciate the help so far.

Kindest regards,

ALewis