Author Topic: Help needed understanding RAF service records.  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Newbie2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help needed understanding RAF service records.
« on: Tuesday 05 March 19 20:20 GMT (UK) »
I have my great uncles 1943 to 1944 RAF service record or part of it. some of it has been microfilmed (annual filming Mar 1944 and Nov 1944). I have manged to break some of it down to locations and trade (AC2 Wop/air, U/T). However, when he was at Bridlington 70 ITW on the 21 Oct 1944 it ends there, he was moved to D unit, but I cant find anything on this. If there is anyone with a good knowledge of RAF records good give me some advice it would be great. Also what N/E might mean.

Thank in advance.
Newbie.
Cullen,Kennedy,Doyle,Costello,Heffernan,Higgins,Dixon,Fields,Whitton,King,Kelly.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed understanding RAF service records.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello

NE means they are Non Effective.

Used when someone is sick, been discharged or has died or been killed in Service.

70 ITW = 70 Initial Training Wing

70 Initial Training Wing, Bridlington
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Initial%20Training%20Wing&_dss=range&_sd=1940&_ed=1945&_ro=any&_hb=tna&_st=adv

Regarding going to The National Archives and if you don't have an in date National Archives READERS TICKET, then see the "Visit Us" section of their website first, as you will need to apply for a 'Readers Ticket', which involves proving who you are (e.g. Passport), plus proving your usual current address, in person.

Mark

Offline Newbie2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mark, unfortunately I live in Ireland, so getting to the National Archives wont be any help.
Here's two snaps of the record in attachments. I thought he was discharged, but it looks like ???bridge.
Let me know what you think, as I said I pretty much worked out what and where except for those last details.
Cheers.
Cullen,Kennedy,Doyle,Costello,Heffernan,Higgins,Dixon,Fields,Whitton,King,Kelly.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

R C - Recruitment Centre.

W Op Air - Wireless Operator

U/T - Under Training

D. I. Absent - must in this case mean Declared Illegally Absent, as the dates 9/2/44 on the two sheets match, where it is also written in full.

The person would certainly be N/E (Non Effective) when discharged.

Mark

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Uxbridge?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Uxbridge?

I agree with Uxbridge.

They had a Personnel Unit and Offices etc.

The particular 'D' Unit transferred to was at Uxbridge, the 21/10/44 dates match. The movement is only administrative, as the person is noted N/E a second time (or confirmed again N/E) Non Effective 21/10/44.

Personnel Dispersal Unit
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7160753

Mark

Offline Newbie2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks a mill to you both, great work. I wonder is that what the crossed out section is, may have been a court hearing, but cancelled it and instead just demobilized him and sent him to the PDC at Uxbridge.
So basically he never saw any action apart from training.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Only the 20 ITW and 70 ITW ORBs might answer some of your questions about the work of each Unit.

For a modest Fee you could get a page count (took about a month) to get a price for the cheapest research only b&w prints (using the dates in your person's record) of the relevant Monthly ORB and the Appendices pages with posting cost.

ORBs should have work carried out and any incident casualties named per RAF King's Regulations. However, some ORBs only record the weather and very scant information and one month might be 1 page, whilst other ORBs give a reasonable summary of Monthly flying activities with crew names.

70 ITW Bridlington, 1944 (you can click Request a Copy for a page count cost first)
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7161094

20 ITW Bridlington 1943 - 1944
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7161009

-----------

Some matters were handled through the RAF Station HQ (or at RAF Group level).

Some RAF Stations hardly made a mention of a Unit or Squadron based there, whilst other Stations made a secondary record of a Squadron/s flying from their Station.

Bridlington RAF Station 1944 (one book is a continuation of the previous)
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_ep=Bridlington&_cr=AIR%2028&_dss=range&_sd=1944&_ed=1944&_ro=any&_hb=tna&_st=adv

Mark

Offline Brewins girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • REME 1943-46 & RAF Coastal & Transpt Command WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 March 19 10:05 GMT (UK) »
‘ORBs’ ?? What does this stand for?
Brooking (REME)
Robinson (RAF)
Southall (Pedmore, nr Stourbridge UK)