Author Topic: Tolls within Brechin parish 1840s  (Read 1963 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tolls within Brechin parish 1840s
« on: Tuesday 05 March 19 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I have a couple marrying in Brechin in 1843 one living at Forebank Toll, the other at Auldbar Toll, both of this parish.
I have found descriptions & references to Forebank and located it on maps. There is a building on the site called Woodburn Cottage. This link is to Google streetview. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.7055496,-2.6424696,3a,75y,245.52h,88.37t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sayE1xSwESfnLEdSTfI7sJA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
My knowledge of Scottish architecture is lacking so I'm wondering if this might be the original building (if tolls had buildings in the 1840s) or is it later Victorian?
The only information I can find on Auldbar toll seems to refer to one much nearer to Dundee. I know about Aldbar Castle just SW of Brechin but can't find a toll in that location.
Any thoughts on either location or further suggestions/ information welcome
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Tolls within Brechin parish 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the West Toll was also known as Aldbar Toll?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I'm not an expert on tollhouses :P , but with the low window (now bricked up)  facing and close to the road it looks a good possibility to me.

Looby :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Is that the one near Stannochy?
Sort of. It's where the road to Stannochy and Aldbar meets the Forfar road. Marked as West Toll on https://maps.nls.uk/view/74491829
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I have just googled images of toll houses, I have no idea why I didn't before. I am fairly sure now that this is the original building, I love to find people's homes still intact, well nearly :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 22:03 GMT (UK) »
I would think it's original building too, Cristenn….maybe a few alterations/additions.

PS. Googled toll houses too and I see West Toll is still standing.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I would think it's original building too, Cristenn….maybe a few alterations/additions.

PS. Googled toll houses too and I see West Toll is still standing.
Haha same again, with the fence obscuring it's windows from the road

Offline T L WEST

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi I am a new member and was interested in this as my 3 X Great Grandparents were the Toll Keepers here in the 1851 census and when they died in 1858 and 1859 they were the Toll Keepers at Rossie Toll on the Montrose Suspension bridge. They were David Lawson and Jane(Jean) Tindall. I have no record of their marriage but it would have been around 1817