Author Topic: Opinion: are Ellen and Julia really children of John Garth and Mary Kershaw?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion: are Ellen and Julia really children of John Garth and Mary Kershaw?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 March 19 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Wow, your family goes back a long way in Quebec.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion: are Ellen and Julia really children of John Garth and Mary Kershaw?
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 March 19 07:05 GMT (UK) »
John M Gall (transcribed on ancestry as Garl) died 3 May 1849 age 34 buried St George's Anglican Church.

Notaries:

His wife provided an inventory of his estate in 1851 as Mrs. John Gall

Charles Gall could be a relative to John Mengs Gall as on 19 May 1848 he signs an obligation to Hannah Taylor re Charles Gall.

Could Julia have remarried?  her husband died young.

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 March 19 10:42 GMT (UK) »
"John M Gall (transcribed on ancestry as Garl) died 3 May 1849 age 34 buried St George's Anglican Church.

Notaries:
His wife provided an inventory of his estate in 1851 as Mrs. John Gall
Charles Gall could be a relative to John Mengs Gall as on 19 May 1848 he signs an obligation to Hannah Taylor re Charles Gall.

Could Julia have remarried?  her husband died young."

This certainly indicates that Julia Garth was alive in 1851.  I haven't looked into the Gall side yet so Charles could be a son to John or definitely related somehow (I got sidetracked on Ellen and Julia :) ).  It is certainly possible that Julia could have married a second time.  Definitely something to look into.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 March 19 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow, your family goes back a long way in Quebec.

PB

My earliest ancestors in both Ontario and Quebec arrived in 1819.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 March 19 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, what a lovely legacy!

Have you traced the children of Ellen Garth and Peter Cooper? George Garth is a sponsor for one of the ones that I have found a baptism for.

I find it difficult to imagine Ellen and George aren't somehow related.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 March 19 01:46 GMT (UK) »
It is wonderful.  Especially when one in Toronto area wrote his own memoire.  The Garth's and Bulmers in Montreal were, well there is a lot of information (good) about them.

The Garth's installed plumbing and heating (I believe) in the Parliament buildings in Ottawa and they seemed to be doing good business with their company. 

The Bulmers seemed to own a fair amount of property in Montreal.  There are a fair number of pictures of them in the McCord Archives in Montreal (which has the Notman and Sons photo archive).

I have been very lucky with the information and photos available for some of my Montreal ancestors.

I have not yet started tracing Ellen and Peter's children.  From my great aunt I at least have a starting point to work from.  Definitely on my list of things to do.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 08 March 19 01:56 GMT (UK) »
It's such fun when you are able to find great info like that.

Give us a shout if you get stuck with Ellen and Peter's children.

PB

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 March 19 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I presume by now you have ruled out Ellen 1818 Colne Parents William/Ellen?
She appears to have married 1846 to Thomas Hutton, her Father William, Cotton Manufacturer same as her Baptism.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 March 19 02:03 GMT (UK) »
I presume by now you have ruled out Ellen 1818 Colne Parents William/Ellen?
She appears to have married 1846 to Thomas Hutton, her Father William, Cotton Manufacturer same as her Baptism.

Yes I ruled out the 1818 Ellen from Colne.