Author Topic: Opinion: are Ellen and Julia really children of John Garth and Mary Kershaw?  (Read 852 times)

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion: are Ellen and Julia really children of John Garth and Mary Kershaw?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 09 March 19 02:18 GMT (UK) »
OK, I have started searching for Ellen and Peter's children.  So far I have found children Ann, William #1, Victoria, Frederick, Alfred, Unknown and William #2.  I have also found the burial records for Ann and William #1.  I have found the baptism for Alfred, Unknown, Victoria, William #2 and Frederick.  Now I am a little stuck.  I haven't had luck finding anything else.  Am I just too tired that I am not seeing anything?
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Opinion: are Ellen and Julia really children of John Garth and Mary Kershaw?
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 March 19 02:49 GMT (UK) »
Did you notice that that the death record for one of the twins had both George Garth and John Gall (who is probably Julia Garth's husband) as witnesses? Another circumstantial piece of evidence to connect the 3 Garths to each other, perhaps.

Hard to find info going forward. Much of the 1851/2 Montreal census seems to be missing. I found Peter in 1961 with William and Alfred. No sign of any other possibly surviving children so far.

Do you know about the Montreal Directory?

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 March 19 03:06 GMT (UK) »
I stumbled across something that said Peter Cooper was an accountant for the Gas Co. or Company of which George Garth was the head of. 

I did notice the George Garth and John Hall on the baptisms.

Today I found a reference for the Montreal directory but I haven't looked at the directories yet (too tired).  It would be nice if I could find online off versions of it to make searching easier.
Bennett, Bowling, Braedine/Brodie, Bulmer, Burns, Cochrane, Devlin, Ellis, Garth, Henderson, Holm/Holmes, Kershaw, Masson, McClernon/McLaren/MacLaren, McComb, McKee, Pitt, Rawood, Riddel, Robinson, Whitaker, Wood

Offline lmfamilyresearch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 21 April 19 01:36 BST (UK) »
So I dug through the papers my cousin has and wouldn't you know it, very little on the Garth family and nothing on Julia and Ellen  :'(

I am slowly researching Julia and Ellen's children.