Author Topic: Fostering  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fostering
« on: Wednesday 06 March 19 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Would there be anyone out there who has any local knowledge of possible fostering in Rosskeen? I was led to believe relatives who settled there had lots of children. Yesterday I received a photo which would ultimately back this up but I can only find one birth for the parents anywhere in the UK. I’m starting to think could they be fostered? I have very limited knowledge of the area etc

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fostering
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Depends when, Glasgow sent many kids to the likes of Easter Ross.

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Claravale, when was this? It really isn't possible to arrive at a sensible answer without knowing, for example, the date and place of birth of the one child, and of course the parents' names.

If it was far enough back, maybe it's just that the baptism records have not survived. Later on, maybe they belonged to the Free Church. Or they went to India and children were born there. Or Ireland, where birth registration didn't start till 1864 and church records are not so easy to get at. Or they tried Australia, New Zealand, Canada or USA, but didn't settle and came home.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 11:14 GMT (UK) »
The child I can only find a birth for is 1945 one surviving distant relative who sent me the photo remembers them having a couple of older kids and then a lot of young ones. The photo shows her as a child with 5 others. The photo was taken approx 1960

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 14:57 GMT (UK) »
You seem to be clutching at straws here.
Observation(s).
The child that you know of was a boy born 1945 (Falmouth district to Hermitage and Bennetto).
You don't say if there is any possibility that he (the 1945 boy) was in the photo.
There ARE Hermitage births in Scotland for that 1945-1960 era.
How did you eliminate them from "your" Hermitage(s).

If there are "5 others" in this photo . Do they even bear a family resemblance to each other?

You've also previously stated that there are Hermitage burials in that area of Scotland.
You were given help on how to find the burials.
Yet didn't share any name or date

Rather than come up with a theory and try to find facts that fit; present the facts, and let someone else come up with the theory.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for not quite being very good at the whole research thing. My knowledge is limited as to this specific stem of the family. I haven’t been researching that long so won’t have the knowledge of others hence coming on here to look for help. I may not have said details but also no one has specifically asked for them.

I do not know whether he is in the photo or not but it is his parents in it.

I haven’t ruled any births from Scotland out quite simply because when I have researched I haven’t come across any. All I’ve done is ask for help. But maybe in future I won’t bother.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 15:29 GMT (UK) »
I HAVE asked for specifics.
You didn't answer.

Also when I searched on Scotland's people i did find births which need to be eliminated.
So if you didn't get results, you should review your search methods, as you are not getting the results that you should
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I see that there is a previous thread about the same people.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=809440

As these births are after 1945, the people involved may still be living

There are 11 deaths after 1945 of people surnamed Hermitage in the index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, one of whose mothers' maiden names is Bennetto. So one of the children has died. There is also a death of William Henry Hermitage, age 48, in Rosskeen. Also a death of Margaret Hermitage, other names Bennetto and Kelman, mother's surname Berry, died in Rosskeen in 1987, aged 64. Laura Martha Hermitage, other surname Banks, Died in Rosskeen in 1954 aged 74.

There are also 13 births of Hermitages in Dingwall between 1948 and 1994, so perhaps they lived first in Dingwall and later in Rosskeen.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Claravale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, I believe I now know which one has died. I’ve just registered for ScottishPeople as I was originally relying on Ancestry being new to the whole geneology thing it’s knowing where to look. I know who Laura Martha Hermitage nee banks is as she married the original William Henry Hermitage who died in 1961 in Coventry but I believe he is also buried in Rosskeen.

Is Dingwall close to Rosskeen? I’ve no idea about that area.

Thanks again.