Author Topic: Info. please on Church rules as who Marries in Church 1870 / 1880 ??  (Read 189 times)

Offline Brickwall Demolisher

• RootsChat Member
  • Age ?? / Possibly Extinct
    • View Profile
Info. please on Church rules as who Marries in Church 1870 / 1880 ??
« on: Wednesday 06 March 19 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Years 1870 to 1880.
Would like to know what the regulations would have been regarding a Church Marriage between these years. If one of the intended was illegitimately born. Through our families research we have not been able to find a birth record for my Great Grandfather's brother born supposedly October 1854. I take it he would be my Great GrandUncle ??  My Great Great Grandmother marries another surname named / family member in 1871 and then her son Church Marries in 1874.
Would the fact, we know he was born out of Marriage. Would the illegitimacy have not been allowed for the Church wedding to go ahead then in 1874.
His younger brother marry's in 1879, but he had a birth certificate.
The elder we are starting to believe in that his birth was not ever recorded??
Any information much appreciated, Regards JUST J
Maycock LAMBETH 1700-1960's
Burcham NORFOLK ??/LAMBETH 1700 - 1960's
Wentzell CRIPPLEGATE/SOUTHWARK 1700-1960's
Sadler CAMBERWELL / LEWISHAM 1700 - 1960's
Elliott WALWORTH / 1700 -1960's
Lepine FRANCE/KENT/WALWORTH/1550's-1950's
Barnes DORSET / WALWORTH
Roberts GLAMORGAN,WALES

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Info. please on Church rules as who Marries in Church 1870 / 1880 ??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 10:04 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware illegitimacy did not mean that they were unable to have a church marriage.  Some clergy might object and the couple may have had to attend a different church  :-\

ADDED:  I have just looked at Rebecca Probert's book "Marriage Law for Genealogists".  In it she writes that only the normal "prohibited degrees" would apply.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibited_degree_of_kinship
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 10:12 GMT (UK) »
You didn't have to be legitimate to marry in church, you will find plenty of marriage entries where no father is named.

A lot of people named a male relative, or even a fictitious person to conceal their illegitimacy purely to hide their embarrassment.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I have a cert from 1889 on which the bride states 'born out of wedlock'
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Rules on marriage concerned who was marrying whom. The rules differed according to denomination. E.g. C.of E. allowed 1st cousin marriages but R.C. Church usually didn't/ doesn't. Neither of those churches would have married a divorced person (not that there were many divorced people at the time).
 Widows or widowers weren't supposed to marry a brother-in-law/sister-in-law until late 19th/early 20thC, although some did.
Didn't C.of E. have a duty to marry people in their parish, as long as they were free to marry each other?