Author Topic: Which Building is this please?  (Read 10872 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Building is this please?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Mike that it looks very much like a brand-new building. The tracks in the courtyard gave me the feeling that it wasn't turfed over - just bare ground.

Yes that is a good observation.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 18:57 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if maybe the building wth chimneys was a church as might burn incense or something so maybe a belltower behind it
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 19:39 GMT (UK) »
A few fairly random thoughts, partly picking up on some of what's already been said:

I wonder if the large chimney(s) in the foreground, and the lack of them elsewhere, might indicate a newish building which had a boiler house and central heating from the outset. I don't really go with a warmer location, as the architecture looks more northern European to me.

There appear to have been carriages swinging round in the courtyard (and are the dark splodges horse droppings?), but the doorway in the corner isn't particularly grand, given the size of the building. Might this be the tradesmen's entrance, with a grand public one somewhere else?

Note the lamp post (electric?) in the bottom RH corner.

I agree with the earlier observation about a possible coastal location (sand dunes top right?), but since coasts can be windy, then the trees have been planted either very recently or in a well-sheltered position.

Sometimes brickwork has a regional character to it. Can anything useful be made out here?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 21:43 GMT (UK) »
I think the chimneys on the building in the foreground look a bit like wind towers that catch the breeze and direct it down into the building for ventilation. I agree that it may well be the back entrance with a courtyard, rather than a grander front entrance to the building
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 21:46 GMT (UK) »

I wonder if the large chimney(s) in the foreground, and the lack of them elsewhere, might indicate a newish building which had a boiler house and central heating from the outset. I don't really go with a warmer location, as the architecture looks more northern European to me.

That's what it looks like to me, a boiler house chimney.  It seems to have a large cable looping up to it, you can see its shadow as well as the cable itself.  And yes, northern European.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
   I had a weird sensation at the very first glance that it was a Prison, and the watch towers to look down on prisoners walking in a circle - just like we see in the movie Papillon.

The attic windows though don't fit with that idea. .... unless quarters for the guards?

Then when seeing the Zoomed in shot, it was almost as if they had placed the executed upright like lines of scarecrows as a warning to those prisoners being allowed exercise.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Could it be a workhouse?
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 22:15 GMT (UK) »
   I had a weird sensation at the very first glance that it was a Prison, and the watch towers to look down on prisoners walking in a circle - just like we see in the movie Papillon.

I had exactly the same thought. But no bars on the windows, so that's when I wondered workhouse.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 22:52 GMT (UK) »
If that's a prison yard, it seems to be missing a wall! 

As for the executed prisoners, are they strapped to the newly planted shrubs? As a sort of grim garden feature?