Author Topic: Which Building is this please?  (Read 11050 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Building is this please?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:25 GMT (UK) »
The Star of David or Magen David is six pointed.
A Seminary perhaps?Nunnery?
The lines are surely bushes in a plain stark flower bed.
Viktoria.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:38 GMT (UK) »
And the trees on the right of the building look newly-planted too. I assume the photo was taken soon after the completion of the building - it has an emlty look about it. Possibly a new school or institution connected to one of the names you mention? It obviously has a high tower from where the photo wa taken

It looks like a brand new building to me, dead straight rooflines, clean tiles, no sign of wear and tear, and newly planted landscaping in the courtyard.

You can see the shadow of either chimneys or mock turrets on the tower from which the photo was taken.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Creasegirl mentioned the unusual chimney at the front of the photo, but have you noticed how few chimneys there are, if you compare with Victorian buildings built in the UK. Could this mean it is somewhere where it is a lot warmer?
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Doesn’t look like th UK to me. I think we need to consider where the photo was taken from - clearly some sort of tower - and the courtyard looks strange. For starters, its not flat. Look at its relationshop to the ground fllor windows those on the left are lower down than those on the right. The somewhat haphazard ruts suggest to me that there might have been some some sort of flood.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Creasegirl mentioned the unusual chimney at the front of the photo,
Is it a belltower?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your excellent observations...I never thought about it being a new building but quite likely...unless it had improvements made. The photo is only about 3 by 2 inches.
Thanks for your responses its much appreciated.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 18:15 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Mike that it looks very much like a brand-new building. The tracks in the courtyard gave me the feeling that it wasn't turfed over - just bare ground.

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Creasegirl mentioned the unusual chimney at the front of the photo, but have you noticed how few chimneys there are, if you compare with Victorian buildings built in the UK. Could this mean it is somewhere where it is a lot warmer?

I never noticed Pat but it's a good point.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
At the time of the 1911 census the head of household was a surgeon living in Richmond. Could it be a hospital?
Carol