Author Topic: Which Building is this please?  (Read 11076 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Building is this please?
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Some really interesting ideas and comments coming through and I thank you all for taking the time to respond. It is very much appreciated. I have a feeling that this one won't be solved but you never know. This forms part a family history where, the head of the house was a surgeon, a son was a sub lieutenant and one who was educated at Eton and Cambridge, so the prison/workhouse theory, whilst interesting, would seem to be at odds with their social standing, but one can never tell.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Is there something written top right? Thought I could see a heart shape and words perhaps 'Miss'...

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 23:14 GMT (UK) »
I agree that the dark area is tilled soil with two rows of plants, but it seems strange to plant them there in front of the lower floor windows which would cut out all of the light, and planting them to block access to the stairs is odd, though the photo could be foreshortened somewhat and only give that impression.

There is a note on the door.

I also think this is the rear view of the building. Northern hemisphere. It looks cold.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Is there something written top right? Thought I could see a heart shape and wordz perhaps 'Miss'...

I though it was just a mark on the photo but you could be right. Thanks for that, maybe it would be worth a closer look.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 07 March 19 07:35 GMT (UK) »
On reflection it aint Colditz which appears to be harled, still think it's in the south Baltic though. Denmark to East Prussia?

Skoosh.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 07 March 19 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Is the building at the back part of it or a separate building ?

Offline ChrissieL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ben and John Hardman meeting up in Cairo
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Given that the building looks as if it is by the coast and the son was a sub lieutenant, could this be a naval college? I

I noticed the ground floor windows have curtains but the upper floor windows look bare.
Chris
Staffordshire: Lawton Probyn Horrobin
Durham: Bamlett Hardman Winship Robinson
Suffolk: Leggett

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:35 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the two stars are connected to Masonry.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 07 March 19 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Some good ideas coming through, thanks for your interest. The naval aspect could certainly come into play. Not sure if the roof of the building in the foreground is a separate building with the photo being taken from an elevated position. The front elevation appears to face the sea and there is a road to the right that leads to the front. I would look for further clues in the documents.
Thanks so much for helping with this one, I really appreciate all your opinions.
Carol