Author Topic: Can anyone intepret this Insch parish birth registry entry? COMPLETED - thanks  (Read 244 times)

Offline maxin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there

Can anyone help please me decipher the attached full text of this entry for Alexander Roy, birth recorded 22/04/1798? It's an Insch birth, but I believe the text mentions more details about the place.

22/04/1798 ROY, ALEXANDER (Old Parish Registers Births 203/ 10 316 Insch) Page 316 of 417

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AHlVkd3GRqHrMIljwuj9Fp1JawCjowGW/view?usp=sharing

If it's the right entry, it's also a semi-out of wedlock birth to a Grace Roy, who was a cousin (apparently) to father Alexander Roy. Grace was the widower of a John Robertson, and then marries Alex Roy in 1800.

Cheers/Max

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone intepret this Insch parish birth registry entry?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
It would be better if you could post the actual image on Rootschat, rather than others having to click on a link to load another site maxin.

I see you have put this on the Aberdeenshire board.
It might be worth asking the moderator to move it to the 'Handwriting Deciphering and Recognition' Board - more people might see it who could help.
(Click on the 'report to moderator' button on your post.)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline heymin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I think it reads as follows: "Alexander Roy in the Glens(of Foudland?) had a child baptised before the congregation" then the clerks signature which I can't make out.

Brian
Strachan,Wood,Leiper,Craig,King,Smith,Shearer,Reid,Wilson,Galloway,Buthlay,McLean.
Aberdeen,Slains,Nigg, Findon,Portlethen,Monquhitter,Cumineston,Banff,Oldmeldrum

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 22:01 GMT (UK) »
"April 22d. Alexr Roy in the Glens had a Child baptisd before the congregation & named Alexander".

I agree that 'the Glens' is likely to mean 'the Glens of Foudland'. See
https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NJ6034
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 March 19 22:09 GMT (UK) »
"in the Glen road!"

Skoosh.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I HAVE edited my profile - several times!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 19 08:05 GMT (UK) »
"in the Glen road!"
If you are offering that as an alternative interpretation, I dissent.

I drive the Glens of Foudland regularly (most recently yesterday) and everyone in the rural north-east of Scotland who uses the A96 knows that 'the Glens' refers to the Glens of Foudland.

The next word is 'had' not 'road'.
Researching

AITKENHEAD, Lanarkshire; BINNY, Forfar; BLACK, New Monkland; BRYSON, Cumbernauld; BURGESS, North-East Scotland; CRUICKSHANK, Rothes; DALLAS, Botriphnie; DAVIDSON, Oyne; GUTHRIE, Angus; HOGG, Larbert; LESLIE, Rothes/Mortlach; MENDUM, England; MOLLISON, Lethnot; PATERSON, Larbert; RHIND, Forfar; SANG, Scotland; SCOTT, East Kilbride; STOR(R)I/E/Y, Shotts; THORNTON, Shotts; WADDELL, New Monkland; WILKIE, New Monkland; WILKIE, Tannadice; WYLLIE, Angus; YOUNG, Keith

Offline maxin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all. Foudland seems attested to by another source!

Apologies for not posting in the handwriting section.

The forum wouldn't let me post the file in the current resolution, which is why I chose to provide a link. A lower res file would be harder to read which would defeat the purpose of the exercise.