Author Topic: 1/6th Essex Regiment War Diary - National Archives  (Read 121 times)

Offline Gama

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1/6th Essex Regiment War Diary - National Archives
« on: Wednesday 06 March 19 20:39 GMT (UK) »
My Grandfather went out to Egypt as an Officer with the 1/6th Essex Regiment in 1917 - I've looked at the War Diary on National Archives but I don't know which one is right, can anyone help me please:

WO 95/4650 1/6 Battalion Essex Regiment 1916 Jan. - 1919 May
OR
WO 95/4325 161 Infantry Brigade: 1/6 Battalion Essex Regiment. 1915 July - Dec

Do I assume that the bottom one is just for July-Dec 1915 ??

Thanks Angie

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1/6th Essex Regiment War Diary - National Archives
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 March 19 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I believe that the war diaries are now available on Ancestry and your local library will almost certainly have a subscription - so it should be possible for you to look at both diaries to see which one is the relevant one.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Online MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1/6th Essex Regiment War Diary - National Archives
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:06 GMT (UK) »
The diary covering 1917 when your grandfather was there is WO 95/4650 which covers Jan 1916 (ie after Gallipoli) to May 1919.  This one has not been digitised and you would have to visit Kew or have it copied.  It is not on Ancestry.

MaxD
Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia