Author Topic: Convicts on the ship "Hashemy" arrived 9th June 1849  (Read 2797 times)

Offline mudgeemaid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convicts on the ship "Hashemy" arrived 9th June 1849
« on: Thursday 07 March 19 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi RootsChat
Does anyone know if there are records for the convicts who were on the ship 'Hashemy". They were classed as Exiles. I have a convict who was on the ship but having trouble finding out what the process was when they landed.
I think they were given a "ticket of leave" or "conditional pardon" but I can't find him on the NSW Archives site for convicts.
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks
mudgeemaid

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Convicts on the ship "Hashemy" arrived 9th June 1849
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 March 19 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

There have been enquiries about other Exiles on that voyage.   Here's where I have replied re one of the chaps...

Re the ship Hashemy

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01n4y/   24 page pdf

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/series/12223  includes the following extract from the summary:
The "Hashemy" arrived in June 1849 following a revision in the penal system. Immediately there was very strong public protest in New South Wales. In spite of this agitation, most of the convicts were landed at Sydney (and sent to country areas), leaving 59 to be sent to Moreton Bay. All subsequent transports were instructed to proceed to that district.

This volume records the history of the individual convicts landed off the "Hashemy", noting tickets of leave, passports and pardons received, assignments, any later convictions, death etc.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/convicts/park14.html

JM

Also, I think NSW Archives will have the index here: https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/convict-exiles-index

Try  :D RChat's search engine ... several threads come up if you search for Hashemy  :)

:D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 19 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mudgeemaid,
   I believe the Hashemy records from NSW archives are on ancestry.

I did download images of some of these records for another rootschatter but they were the same as he had already found elsewhere (on ancestry I think).

Ros
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 March 19 01:07 GMT (UK) »
The index live link I provided does not seem to list Thomas BETTS as per that vessel.  However, it does list a William FISHER and he was also tried at the York Assizes on 6 March 1847.

I looked back at your previous posts and spotted your enquiry on re Thomas here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=809539.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 19 19:47 GMT (UK) »
This is a list of the 239 passengers on board the convict ship Hashemy, in 1848/9. Thomas Betts, convicted at York Assizes, is on the list (click on his name for more info)

https://convictrecords.com.au/ships/hashemy/1848

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 19 20:32 GMT (UK) »
I am happy to check NSW Archives Hashemy records and capture any images for Thomas BETTS next time I am there.

Ros

Just adding an example that I captured for the other rootschatter (so you can see what sort of info is available)
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 March 19 01:37 GMT (UK) »
This is a list of the 239 passengers on board the convict ship Hashemy, in 1848/9. Thomas Betts, convicted at York Assizes, is on the list (click on his name for more info)

https://convictrecords.com.au/ships/hashemy/1848

One of my lot was on this ship so I've just checked and Thomas Betts is crossed through with the word 'disembarked' added. 

ADDED: A record on FindMyPast shows that he was granted a free pardon 16 Feb 1849
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 March 19 01:57 GMT (UK) »
That would definitely explain why he is not listed on the NSW State Achives as an Exile.

JM

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 March 19 01:59 GMT (UK) »
Following on from my last post, it seems he was taken off the Hashemy and transferred to Millbank Prison on 13 Dec 1848, along with James Campbell & Thomas Watts, and then granted the free pardon on 16 Feb 1849.

Unfortunately my ancestor wasn't so lucky!
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.