Author Topic: Applicantion for Marriage after 1944 Qld  (Read 1782 times)

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Applicantion for Marriage after 1944 Qld
« on: Thursday 07 March 19 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I hope someone can help me out.  I would like to get my mothers second marriage that was from 1956 to about 1959 in Toowoomba.  I am a child of her first marriage in 1942.  I know I have to have ID which isn't a problem.  Both parties to the marriage are deceased my mum in 1962 and her second husband in 1969.  As a child of the first marriage am I entitled to apply for this marriage.  I have attached information about what is required.  It seems to suggest that the child is from both parties.  I have both DCs and do I need my BC?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Applicantion for Marriage after 1944 Qld
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 March 19 05:06 GMT (UK) »
You have nothing to lose by giving it a try.  :)

If I were you I would apply and supply them with certified copies (take the originals and photocopies to a JP who will sign and stamp them for you) of:
your own b/c
your father and mother's marriage certificate
your mother's second marriage certificate
and the d/c of both your mother and step father
if there was a divorce I would include proof of that as well

My thinking is that by supplying everything that they could possibly want, and more, even if not asked for, might increase your chances, though you are probably entitled to apply anyway.

Were there any children of the second marriage?

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 19 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply
I will send everything I have.  Yes there are children of Mum's second marriage who were adopted after their fathers death.
I think that the qualification for the application for marriage is badly worded maybe instead of both parties it should be of either party.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 March 19 05:40 GMT (UK) »
I don't think it would make any difference to your application but I was wondering if permission may be needed from offspring of the marriage for you to obtain the certificate, hence my question - I shouldn't think so though.

I agree, the wording is a bit ambiguous.

It is a bit of a pallaver to get all the documentation together but the worst they can say is "no".

If you don't mind, could you please pop back and let us know how you get on? It might be handy to know in case others have a similar question.  :)

Good luck!  :)

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 19 05:49 GMT (UK) »
I will let you know how I get on.  It may take a few weeks.  I have Mum's divorce papers and there is an MC with them.  I don't know about stepfather. 
Thanks again

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 19 08:15 GMT (UK) »
I will let you know how I get on.  It may take a few weeks.  I have Mum's divorce papers and there is an MC with them.  I don't know about stepfather. 
Thanks again

Best of luck with it all.  :)

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 March 19 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi to everyone
I sent in the application for my mothers second marriage last week and today I received an SMS to say that only the children of the bride and groom can apply and as I am only a child of the bride I am illegible to get the certificate.
So BOTH means BOTH
I am very disappointed but that is it.  I guess other states would be the same.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 March 19 01:07 GMT (UK) »
It would be sensible to think that the same rules apply across the entire nation, however, each state has their own parliament and so each state develops their own laws, and the regulations for the administration for those laws. 

If you are a Queenslander,  perhaps you could approach your local Member of the Queensland Parliament re obtaining some of the restricted details from that m.c.  ... for example ... names of the witnesses, the then usual address of your mother (and perhaps your then address) and the stated age of your mother when marrying ... and basically ask the politician's office to work towards helping you obtain all the information on that the register holds that refer to your mother ... her given names, the surname she used when marrying ...   

This info will help you confirm that the Qld BDM are looking at the correct entry in their records, because you likely already 'know' much of it and of course the 'blanks' in your knowledge will help you to know where to next look ...

JM 

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline margill68

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 March 19 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply
I don't live in Queensland I have been in NSW for about 50 years. I was at school when this marriage took place and was not at it and I don't think any of Mum's sisters were either.  It seems that children of a parent by an earlier marriage don't count. 
I sent in both the Bride and Grooms DCs and I am mentioned on Mum's as is my father.
I wonder how many other children have had the same reply.