Author Topic: Who was H E Vaughan?  (Read 221 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Who was H E Vaughan?
« on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Many years ago I bought two watercolours by H E Vaughan, one of which is shown below together with his signature and the date of 1925.  On the back of the board is a label which gives the title of the painting as 'Sunset at Menton'.  At the time,  I was told that H E Vaughan had, as a young man, gone on a tour of Europe during which he had painted many of the places he visited.  He had also written a journal in which he had made numerous sketches - I was shown the journal, it was fascinating.  Subsequently the person who had charge of the journal died, and I was told (although this was never confirmed) that the journal was destroyed along with a lot of other paperwork, which to my mind is a tragedy because it was a wonderful piece of recent history.

For years I have wondered who H E Vaughan was; I know he was Welsh and I'm assuming he lived in the Carmarthen area but this is only a guess.  So if anyone would like to have a go at trying to identify H E Vaughan, and find out what became of him, I would be delighted.

Kindest regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Who was H E Vaughan?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this is any significance but there is a H E Vaughan on the Trade Union Membership Registers, Pontypool for the years 1919, 1921 and 1927. His birth year on two records is 1883 the other has a birth year of 1885.

JJ

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:27 GMT (UK) »
The above has a wife Gladys Vaughan, 12 Brooke Street/Terrace, Pontrhydyrun, Nr Pontypool

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:33 GMT (UK) »
This H E Vaughan (Henry E) would appear to be a carpenter, so perhaps not the correct man.  ???

JJ

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 19 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JJ - I was told that this HE Vaughan was from a moneyed family; I suppose he must have had a bit of money to do the Grand Tour in the 1920s.  Many thanks for your interest, I have no idea when this HE Vaughan was born but I'm assuming he was a young man.

Kind regards and thanks,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 19 21:27 GMT (UK) »
A possible lead from "The County families of Carmarthen" shows Henry Gwynne Vaughan, who assumed the name Vaughan on inheriting property on the decease of of his maternal uncle Rev Thomas Vaughan of Brecon.
He lived from 1811-1877 at Cynghordy, Llandovery and had 10 children.
Perhaps your artist is a descendant?

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 March 19 21:36 GMT (UK) »
That's interesting - thank you very much for that Carom.   The family is certainly in the right place, as Cynghordy isn't far from Llandovery, and  also, the person who had possession of artist's journal was living in Llandovery.    I'll follow that line up, thanks again.

Regards
GS