Author Topic: Death certificate 1872 - cause of death - some help with interpretation please!  (Read 1380 times)

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have a death certificate for an ancestor, Elizabeth Howard died 13.4.1872. cause of death -( looks like) "hepatitis" 12 weeks confinement. Carditis (looks like) 9 days.
My question is does the 12 weeks confinement mean she was pregnant at date of death, or would the hepatitis mean she was confined indoors. I assume the carditis was heart disease. She had born 9 living children, the last born 1869.

Any help on this would be very gratefully received. I am kind of hoping she wasnt pregnant yet again.

How would she have contracted hepatitis (I think that is what the certificate says). Sorry for all the questions, I am not very "medically gifted"! Best wishes to all on RootsChat.
Liverbird50

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate 1872 - cause of death - some help with interpretation please!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:32 GMT (UK) »
I would take the "12 weeks" as only applying to the hepatitis, not the confinement. Have you checked to see if a child was born?

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Death certificate 1872 - cause of death - some help with interpretation please!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:39 GMT (UK) »
My guess is she had been pregnant again.  It's a bit strange wording.  Confinement usually means day of delivery, so was she 12 weeks after delivery, or 12 weeks before delivery?  Alternatively, someone missed out a comma after confinement and she was 12 weeks post delivery, had hepatitis and carditis. 

If she had hepatitis she would have been quite ill.  Hepatitis is caused either by a virus or alcohol and is an inflammatory disease of the liver.  I had hepatitis when I was only about 7-8 so in my case it was definitely a virus.  As an adult working in hospital, I've been vaccinated against Hep A & B.

Hep A is a short acute illness, and the one she most likely contracted.  Hep B & C are the type of hepatitis you get from sharing bodily fluids with someone who also has the disease, or sharing needles (drug addicts) etc.  So I doubt she had either Hep B or Hep C. 

So poor woman, a 10th pregnancy/delivery, hepatitis and carditis.  She didn't stand much chance really.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 March 19 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with GR2. She'd had hepatitis for 12 weeks and then had probably given birth and also had carditis.

Does it read:

Hepatitis
12 weeks
Confinement
Carditis

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for taking the trouble to help out and reply to me.
I have not found a birth of a 10th child after Elizabeth's death. I suppose my gut instinct is that perhaps she was confined with Hepatitis being very ill and the carditis was caused as a secondary event. On the cause of death it is worded thus  ( Hepatitis
                                                                     (      12 weeks
                                                                      ( Confinement
                                                                         Carditis 9 days

No punctuation after any of the words and very hard to read after the Carditis, looks like "of days" but I think it is 9 days.

I think if there was any pregnancy involved, perhaps she was just 12 weeks into her pregnancy, but probably the 12 weeks referred to her illness needing her to be confined in the final stages.

Hope you all agree, and thanks again. I am sure I will have more puzzles to be solved with your kind assistance.
Speak soon,
Liverbird50

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 19 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that, in my experience, having worked with many maternity records, confinement, in medical terminology, refers to the period of childbirth rather than the period of pregnancy.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 March 19 12:20 GMT (UK) »
So she had hepatitis for 12 weeks, delivered a baby (probably prematurely) and also had carditis.

Offline liverbird50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 March 19 12:24 GMT (UK) »
thanks for your opinion Lizzie W. Think I will go with the Hepatitis for 12 weeks, and heart disease. Sadly we will never know for sure. Poor lady, 42 is no age.
Liverbird50 :

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 March 19 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Whereas I would go with the expert opinions of Gadget & LizzieW.....

Can you post a snip of the cause of death column?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON