Author Topic: Vignette style CdV for dating please  (Read 465 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Vignette style CdV for dating please
« on: Thursday 07 March 19 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Please can I have a date for this rather nice CdV.

Sadly, in common with some others from the same group of CdV's this has been rather clumsily trimmed although I suspect that the top left corner retains the original rounding.

I have several other Gibsons with rounded corners which have been dated to mid-late 1860's, (see links on this thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=785179.msg6402780#msg6402780 )
which (with my meagre knowledge) is what I would have expected from the design on the reverse  :-\

Any advice appreciated as always.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vignette style CdV for dating please
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 March 19 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen...The photo corners do looked to be round and the oval vignette was popular in the 1870s. So I would say mid-late decade.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vignette style CdV for dating please
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 19 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Carol, thanks very much.

I had really thought that, because of the simplicity of the back of the card, it might be late 1860's.

I will have to get better at this dating business!
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk