Author Topic: Family/Baptism of John Brown (Abbots Bromley)  (Read 1766 times)

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family/Baptism of John Brown (Abbots Bromley)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:10 GMT (UK) »
These are the baptism I have found for children of John Lomas in Colton:

Mary 1733
William 1736 (mother listed as Sarae)
Anna 1738 (the one that married Willam Sambrook)?
Maria 1740
John 1742
Hannah 1744

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 March 19 14:13 GMT (UK) »
So could the two Lommas sister's mentioned in Benjamin's will be his wife's nieces? Could Benjamin Brown's wife Ann Sherratt and John Lomas' wife Sarah Sherratt be sisters?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 19 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Good spot !
I'd never have found that.

Ciderdrinker

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 March 19 12:27 GMT (UK) »
ciderdrinker - you have been a massive help with helping me in my research, it's been great discussing this family with you to try and make sense of everything. A fresh pair of eyes makes all the difference. Thank you. :)

I know we can't find absolute proof of the baptisms of John, William and Ann together with one family at the moment. It is possible that John and Margaret could be the parents, something for me to investigate further.

The fact that you have identified a very likely birth for Benjamin Brown in 1700 to a William Brown looks very good. So William Brown could be the grandfather of John who married Mary Saville. This has helped to narrow down the families to research considerably.

I have had a quick look at the family of William Brown. You mentioned you weren't sure if William Brown who married Dorothy was the only William having children at this time or if there were two families. I have done some research into this. I noticed a baptism for Johannes Brown 20/05/1715 to parents Gulielmi and Dorthy Brown in Abbots Bromley. Their other children appear to be baptised in the 1710s and 1720s. As my 6th great grandfather John Brown's brother William was born about 1729, I don't think William and Dorothy are the parents of Benjamin Brown.

I have seen an administration for a William Brown in 1707, Abbots Bromley. It lists his widow Ann and son Joshua Brown (he was of Bradley, Staffordshire). Also a William Robinson is mentioned. I found a marriage for this William Brown to Ann Robinson in 1685 in Lichfield.

I believe these are more likely to be the parents of Benjamin. Perhaps like you say Jonathan born 1704 could be John who married Margaret? I haven't been able to find anymore records for a Jonathan Brown.

Further research for me to do into William Brown and Ann Robinson and their children may lead to finding more clues to the parents of John, William and Ann.

Kind regards,

ALewis

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 March 19 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Yes I agree with you  it is likely that Jonathon born 1704 is the John who married Margaret.That would make perfect sense.
I didn't spot the admin for William in 1707 ,sorry.
But you seem to be on the right track.
I enjoyed doing research on your Brown family and I'm glad i helped in some way.
Good luck with William and Ann ,fingers crossed .
Ciderdrinker

Offline ALewis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 March 19 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi ciderdrinker - sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a few days.

Please don't worry about not finding documents - the Brown name is very difficult, so many of them! When I first posted my Brown query I was looking in multiple parishes and getting very confused!

With your help I have made good progress indeed - so thank you! It's been fun discussing theories about the family. :)

I have also made progress on my 20th century Brown research in the last few days too. My grandfather Brown had two uncles that sadly passed away in WW1. I have discovered Frank Brown listed on a memorial in France and a grave for Samuel Charles Wheeldon in France too! I have located a newspaper that has a portrait of Samuel - I've never seen a photo of him before! I'm planning to go to Burton Library next week and get a copy.

Several Brown brick walls demolished in the last two weeks! :)

Kind regards,

ALewis