Author Topic: WALKER ancestors  (Read 1666 times)

Offline VERONICA EVANS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WALKER ancestors
« on: Thursday 07 March 19 16:52 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my walker family ancestors.
They are from Baildon in Yorkshire. The information I have gathered tells me they had farms in the area - John Walker 1729-1807 Crooks Baildon, John Walker 1803-1869 Hope Farm Baildon, John Walker 1761 Bracken Hall.
Any information would be great.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WALKER ANCESTORS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 March 19 17:04 GMT (UK) »
What kind of info are you after?

Do you have marriage/births/deaths for each family and do you know that these three John Walker's are all related to each other.

A bit more detail about what you are specifically looking for would help otherwise we might duplicate what you already know.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline VERONICA EVANS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WALKER ANCESTORS
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 19 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Ref the John Walkers . I am looking for information on the area’s they lived
In i.e. how they got the farms in the first place and when they got rid of the farms. They are related to each other, Father to son and so on. I believe it started with Isaac Walker in the 1600’s but how they got the farms I don’t know.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WALKER ancestors
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 March 19 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I think the abundance of farms were long term "rentals", and I do see the farms you mentioned "to let" in the old newspapers on occasion.
However, I have not yet finished hunting, but I did come across an interesting (and very long!) article, which was a letter written by a Samuel Walker, of Hope Farm, Baildon, in 1878.
He appears to be looking for land to buy in New Zealand.
If this Samuel is a son of John, perhaps you are interested in it. He mentions a "Tom" a lot, who is also looking to buy land, perhaps a brother.  (It is far too long to type up if there is no family connection!)

And welcome to Rootschat!  :)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 19 23:26 GMT (UK) »

Offline VERONICA EVANS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 19 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Oh thats great. Yes Tom ‘Thomas’ was a son of John Walker and Samuels brother.
I have also found that John of Hope Farm had some cottages as well, but I don’t know where Crooks and Bracken Hall come into it. The only thing I have found is a couple of the wives of the different John’s seem to have some connection with Crooks and Bracken Hall to. Also some of the children were born at the two places as well. I am presuming these were farms as well. There is also a place called Lucy Hall where some of the children were born . One of the farms , I think Hope Farm was sold to a Mr Denby, a manufacturer, of what I don’t know. Hope Hill Farm was inherited by John Walker from John Walker somewhere around 1807/9. Thomas Walker also had something to do with it I think.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 March 19 23:40 GMT (UK) »
The link that Chempat posted is full of Walkers. This link goes to the same book in a different format:
https://archive.org/details/baildonbaildonsh01bail/page/n6 
There is also some grave inscriptions in it.

Search Google.... there are a couple of old old books they have digitized. One in particular talks about how William the Conqueror gave the land to Paul, Earl of Rowland, and Baildon was originally Hope, or Hopetown.  The Hope farm was the first farm there.

One newspaper item states that the Walkers were on the Hope farm for at least 200 years.
It seems the farm was let go by the Walkers around 1875, and the crops, animals, farming equipment, furniture, etc were sold, following the death of John Walker.  It doesn't say  if the farm was up to be let, or sold. 

Anyways, I will type up those old articles and try to get them in chronological order; it will take a while!

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 March 19 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Veronica,
I've just sent you a private message.  To find it, look at the bar at the top (where is says Forum/Help etc, and there is a tab for "my messages".

Offline kanagawa_kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have just been doing some genealogy searching over the last couple of weeks of lockdown in New Zealand.  I am a Walker that lives in New Zealand.

It would appear that we can trace our roots back to the Hope Farm, and it was Thomas Walker born in 1852 on the farm that made the move out to New Zealand.  I have just found this thread and so am very excited to see the connections.

Absolutely fascinating to see that old book that was linked in a previous message.