Author Topic: William Munro 1841 census?  (Read 1007 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Munro 1841 census?
« on: Thursday 07 March 19 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Can't find this person in 1841, most frustrating!
William was born about 1818 in Forfar, the son of Hugh Munro & Margaret Mitchell
He married Charlotte Milne in 1843 at Brechin when he was living at Forebank Toll, working as a weaver.
I have him in all the censuses (except 1841!) living at various addresses in Forfar (East Port Street, Prior Road, Headingstone Place, Toyhillock until his death in 1898 in Montrose Road (son in laws place)
Until 1871 he is a handloom weaver of linen, wife and children in the same trade. He then becomes a labourer, gasworks in 1881
I would love to find him in 1841 and am fairly sure he would have been relatively local to Brechin in order to have met Charlotte & married there. Charlotte was at Quarry Pendicles, Aberlemno in 1841(labelled as Sheeppark on maps)
Ideally I would like to find a baptism too
All help on this one appreciated, it doesn't help that there are so many variations on Munro/Monro
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Munro 1841 census?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 March 19 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you already ruled out this entry?  I know his parents were Hugh and Margaret but wondered if Charles was perhaps his uncle??  Ages were rounded down in 1841

Nether Tenements Brechin

Charles Monro    55
Elizabeth  50
William  20 Linen hand loom weaver b Angus
Jessie  15
Brechin ED 8 Page 20 Line 440

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 March 19 10:07 GMT (UK) »
The only baptism for children of Hugh and Margaret is Jean in 1820 in Forfar so looks like other baptisms didn't survive

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 March 19 09:05 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW, thank you. I have no idea about Hugh's siblings as haven't gone back to his family yet but that is definitely worth further investigation.
Wendy2305, I have the baptism of Jean (Jane), thankfully she is the line I am investigating
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 March 19 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Have you already ruled out this entry?  I know his parents were Hugh and Margaret but wondered if Charles was perhaps his uncle??  Ages were rounded down in 1841

Nether Tenements Brechin

Charles Monro    55
Elizabeth  50
William  20 Linen hand loom weaver b Angus
Jessie  15
Brechin ED 8 Page 20 Line 440
Have investigated this family over the last few days & am fairly sure this William is the son of Charles & Elizabeth. In 1861 Charles & Elizabeth are still at Nether tenements, as is William & wife Jessie with two children. Charles dies in 1864 and the informant is William Monro, son. So back to the drawing board for my William.
Interestingly, in the process of researching I found William's mother in 1841, tollkeeper at Cairnie Toll, Arbroath , with Catherine & William Carnegie (daughter) Isabel Munro and Margaret Anderson who was a grandchild.
I had assumed Margaret had died before 1841 because Hugh Monro is tollkeeper at Keptie Toll Arbroath with Elizabeth & James (assumed children) plus a FS. An interesting family setup, adjoining tolls!
The new information has raised more questions and any help with these also appreciated
What happened to Margaret & when? In 1851 Hugh is a widower living with daughter Jane & family at Annan where he dies in 1859. I have newspaper reports of a Hugh Munro, toll keeper Balgavies, selling land in 1847 so maybe Margaret died around this time & he is selling up to move to Annan.
What happened to daughter Margaret Anderson? She married Andrew Anderson in 1839 at Aberlemno, had daughter Margaret in December 1840. No trace of her since. I think Andrew might be at Burnside Toll in 1841, aged 25, a joiner with Elizabeth Carnegie, aged 20 a FS (Elizabeth a relation of William Carnegie maybe)
I think Margaret the daughter might be in Annan in 1861 at Wellington Place, aged 20, born Forfar, a domestic servant but can't find her in 1851!
So many ifs, buts and maybes it's untrue
Lastly, still to find William in 1841