Author Topic: Charles Kemp - Her Majesty’s Dockyard, Plymouth  (Read 2839 times)

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Kemp - Her Majesty’s Dockyard, Plymouth
« on: Thursday 07 March 19 19:15 GMT (UK) »
I’m looking for information on a Charles Kemp who was a labourer at HMD in Plymouth in 1940. We don’t know his age.

We do know He had a daughter [Frances Dorothy Kemp] at that time who was living at 94 Warleigh Avenue, Plymouth and we’re wondering if anyone is able to access any records of who else was residing st that address in July 1940, at the time of Frances’s marriage to Charles Percival Jenkin.

Frances had always thought that she’d been adopted. But we have No other information on that at all.

Thanks in advance.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Kemp - Her Majesty’s Dockyard, Plymouth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 March 19 19:49 GMT (UK) »
94 Warleigh Avenue was the home of the Jenkin family. Have you found Frances in Plymouth in the 1939 register? That will give you her date of birth.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 March 19 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi was Frances Dorothy Kemp b c 1917 as one is in Plymouth in 1939?
Keyboard86

EDIT  Her death was as Frances Dorothy Jenkin born 15th July 1917 in March qtr 1987 Bromley, Kent
PS why have I looked up this death record previously?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 March 19 20:07 GMT (UK) »
This is olives thread re Frances Dorothy Kemp
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=809214.0

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 March 19 20:18 GMT (UK) »
ShaunJ. How can I access the 1939 register, please?

Is there a definite listing of her d.o.b.? She was always led to believe she’d been adopted, but there’s no record to prove this.

Keyboard86. You have found this death before via the Scotland search, but we’re unsure of the family link on that so we thought we’d look more into Plymouth as we have a marriage certificate confirm that part of it.

I’m still finding my way on this site and do appreciate everyone’s input.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 19 20:42 GMT (UK) »
You can search the 1939 register on FindMyPast or Ancestry. On FindMyPast you can search it to a limited extent without being a subscriber.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 March 19 20:47 GMT (UK) »
This is olives thread re Frances Dorothy Kemp
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=809214.0

Thanks Crisane, as a lot of work has been done on the original link & this is now going to confuse matters as well as duplication of effort as there's been advice given on the previous topic.

I’m looking for information on a Charles Kemp who was a labourer at HMD in Plymouth in 1940. We don’t know his age.

We do know He had a daughter [Frances Dorothy Kemp] at that time who was living at 94 Warleigh Avenue, Plymouth and we’re wondering if anyone is able to access any records of who else was residing st that address in July 1940, at the time of Frances’s marriage to Charles Percival Jenkin.

Census records previously posted gives the age for Charles in each which has been worked out.

I don't see a need for this thread to be honest as people are going to duplicate what's previously known.

My last post on your original thread...

"It would be an idea to look at the original 1911 census & some of the marriages of the children of Charles Kemp to find out what his/their occupations were as this may help with the answer to the move so far south?
Sometimes we need to expand our search outwith one person in particular as events in between can differ"

Thanks, Anne. That's useful to know. That was to be my next step researching Charles' other children for "clues".

Frances D Kemp is on the 1939 register living in Plymouth Devon UK and is a domestic servant. She isn't married at this point but the surname Jenkin has been added so indicates a marriage from 1939 on.
The marriage was Sept 1/4 1940 to Charles F P Jenkin On FreeBMD

ShaunJ. How can I access the 1939 register, please?

Is there a definite listing of her d.o.b.? She was always led to believe she’d been adopted, but there’s no record to prove this.

Keyboard86. You have found this death before via the Scotland search, but we’re unsure of the family link on that so we thought we’d look more into Plymouth as we have a marriage certificate confirm that part of it.

The whole lot would have been best left on one thread in my view as the questions all relate to the same thing in the end?

I don't see what benefit this thread is, if any?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline olives

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 March 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I’ve never meant to duplicate anything on here or cause unnecessary research for anyone. As I say, I’m just finding my way round the site. And as the family aren’t able to produce any conclusive evidence of a Scottish link then I thought it might be easier to take a new approach and look at Plymouth, for which we do have written evidence.