Author Topic: Merchant Seaman's death  (Read 1610 times)

Offline gemmanoon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seaman's death
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 March 19 05:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cornishjack,

There isn't a ton of information of merchant seaman records, but they usually have place of birth, date of birth, nationality, and maybe a few things like height and complexion - oh and if they had tattoos.  Occasionally there are photographs in there as well. They usually tell you the job they did on the ships, and some of the boats they worked on.

I've had a look through and I can't find a record that I'm confident is your stepfather, I'm afraid.  Your best bet is FindMyPast as they have all the merchant seaman records available online for you to go through, but nothing here is standing out for me.

The only other thing I can think of suggesting right now is going through the birth certificates of his biological children to check how your mother recorded him - what job is she giving? Does he go by his middle name, etc. That might give you a lead.

From a search of the GRO index, the only birth record I could find that looks likely was a Leslie Llewellyn - there are literally no Leslie Lionel Davis or Davies that I can find.

on the other hand - there is a Morgan Davis, born 29 August 1893, listed in Birmingham in 1939 as a mechanical engineer. That would be cutting it awfully fine for him to be the father of Leslie, but it might give you somewhere to look. Is he noted as being deceased on the wedding certificate?

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Offline cornishjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Seaman's death
« Reply #19 on: Monday 11 March 19 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gemmamoon, thanks for taking the trouble to search for my stepdad, like you I keep coming up empty handed because there is so little to go on, all I have is their marriage lines not got any birth certs of siblings will ask them when we speak next as we all live in different parts. Cathy 151 found a Davis in Bedlanog, South Wales, U.K. that match's the info given on the marriage lines, and the Morgan Davis in B'ham is worth a look, on Findmypast merchant seaman 1918-1941 Davis is born 5th May 1911,Bedlanog  S, Wales, Discharge book number is R141062(3) and looks like the only candidate, but that's it as I don't know how to use this info any further, will keep looking maybe something will surface that will help, so thank's to you and all the other members that have given their time to try and help solve my problem, good luck with your own research, cornishjack